fitting a side fuel tank to 110

JST

i have a 40L side tank to go on my 110. it has a balance pipe at the bottom corner to allow fuel that doesnt go down the main pipe route to get to the main tank.

this balance pipe needs a barbed fitting to be go into the main tank but i am struggling to identify a suitable location for it.

Anyone who has fitted one have any suggestions or ideally photographs showing location of where to place the barb fitting?

I have the same setup on my 110. But i did not use the pipe between the tanks. As far as I could see, the pipe would be easy to rip of when ofroading, so I let it be.

Besides, it's not a lot of fuel you miss in the bottom of the extra tank. If i say 5-7 litres???

What I have done is to unscrew the bottomplug from time to time (mostly after beeing abroad), and usually there is some sand, soil and things I don't want following the little slump of diesel into the pump.

Ronny S

cheers for the reply Ronny, i see where you are coming from, especially with respect to it being exposed. but as you say you are loosing some of the capacity - 10-15%?

The NOMINAL capacity might be 40L but the way Ronny uses his tank is absolutely right. It's never advisable to suck every last drop from a tank. You almost always get a small accumulation of water and crud over time, and the 10-15% you "lose" is your insurance of not clogging up your fuel filter too often. Just accept that you've got a 35L side tank.

Mike

The NOMINAL capacity might be 40L but the way Ronny uses his tank is absolutely right. It's never advisable to suck every last drop from a tank. You almost always get a small accumulation of water and crud over time, and the 10-15% you "lose" is your insurance of not clogging up your fuel filter too often. Just accept that you've got a 35L side tank.

Mike

yes i understand not using the last drop but surely the main tank will allow for that and the fact the balance pipe is slightly above the lowest point of the side tank means the last drop wont come out anyway..

When I fitted a replacement main tank to my 110 a couple of years ago there was a spare unused pipe connection on the top of the tank on front right corner when looking from the back. This connection is unused and just capped. Could this be used to connect your balance pipe to? From memory it is a pipe stub and sealed with an olive and capping nut and points towards the wheel.

Good point, I'd imagine the balance pipe would have to enter lower as you say, I don't have a side tank and had failed to think of that sorry James.

BTW you can see the pipe in this picture of a tank, bottom left corner of the picture .

pwbro12e.jpg

Edited by CwazyWabbit

I don't think you loose as much as 10-15%.

Let's say 5-7 liters. Could not be much more than that.

Not to take over this tread, but have anyone mounted a 127 liter tank? Is it possible with the wingtank I already have?

Or does it get in conflict with my already mounted extra?

Ronny S