V8 engine swap, now not running

After swapping my old V8 for a better (I hope) block, I've got a very basic problem: I can't get it to start !

Not even tow-starting behind a friends 110 will work...

We've tried this for 2 hours yesterday, no hick, no sound, nothing that points into any form of life in it.

I've checked;

Fuel:

Took the fuel line's from the carbs and the fuel pump pushes out a fair amount of the expensive stuff.

But how do I check if inside the carbs receive the fuel ?

There is no real smell of petrol while trying to start....

Ignition:

Took a sparkplug out and it is sparking OK.

Distributer and rotor look new, the coil worked with the old engine last week, so should be OK.

Leads are all check and seem OK

The engine however is fitted with a ignition/spark enhancer (is that the good word ?)

An aluminium little block (with cooling rib's on it) with two wires coming from the distributer, one wire is hooked up to ground/earth, another two wires to the positive (red wire) and negative (brown wire ) spades on the coil.

Tried swapping the positive and negative wires on the coil, no result.

I guess the enhancer could be defective alltogether, but would that situation result in a sparking plug at all.....as tested ?

And would a faulty or wrong wired in enhancer result in the engine not starting at all ?

There is a wire running from the positive spade on the coil, to the car's wiring loom.

That was there also with the old engine in.

So, me being from "Planet Diesel", I haven't got a clue here ;-)

Can anyone point me in the good direction ?

Thanks

Timing 180 out? If you have a spark at the plugs, and fuel going in, that's about the only thing I can think of.

Are the carbs actually putting fuel into the engine, i.e. their float chambers aren't stuck closed are they? What condition are they in? Take the elbow off a carb and turn it over cranking the engine, full throttle, you should see some fuel going in.

As above my thoughts

Remove filters and lift the pistons up with a finger - should be moveable, do they lift a bit with Cranking ?

Is the fuel in and return plumbed in properly (don't ask me how I know this - was years ago :blush: )

Crank and squirt easy start in - does it fire = spark or not ? no spark?

Fuel Pressure OK ?

Rechecking timing and Rotor arm at TC / No 1 position and then leads order correct ?

Check cap and rotor arm

Nige

I checked the firing order and the lead are all in the correct position.

When I start I can't see the pistons in the carbs moving up (I can move them with a finger)

Also no fuel visable......

Seems that it could be a fuel problem then....

What could prevent the carbs from getting fuel ?

I had to tighten the drain plug underneath each carb, because they were dripping a bit.

Could this have to do with anything ?

Feed and return are in the correct position an fuel pump is OK (as posted earlier)