300 Tdi Conversion: engine breather pipe....

Hi all, I'm getting around to taking bits off the disco ready to hoik the engine out, and having looked in the intake manifold, there's an amazing ammount of carp in there, I think it's just oil and dirt that's got through the filter over the years, which leads me on to my question:

can I do anything else with the engine breather pipe instead of having it chuffing oil into my air intake and turbo? other than have it connected before the cold side of the turbo?

Cheers

D

the existing cyclonic filter on side of cylinder head already has a drain back to the sump.

I never figured out what that thing was untill the other day! I figured out what the pipes do, I'd think to connect everything back the way the cyclone filter is with a blanking plate where the filter attaches to the intake manifold, just with the catch tank on the bulkhead or somewhere else plumbed in with the pipes going to and coming from their original holes.......... but that's a ways off yet....

it's job is to spin the crankcase gases to get any oil vapours out & back to the sump, then the unwanted left over gas is burnt in the combustion process. there will always be a little oil in the air filter, even on a new/rebuilt engine.

oh right, I didn't realise that it spun the gases.....it dis seem to be a bit small for a catch tank....

presumably an oil cach tank on the pipe that goes to the air filter would get that out? I know it won't damage the engine any, I'm just not really up for spending money for Silicone hoses that after prolonged contact with oil mist and the dregs that get caught at the joins and elbows, will fall apart.... but then again, I'd probably be spending more than a set of hoses on an oil catch tank...., having said that........, who dosen't like a bit of bling in their engine bay? :D