Wiring fuel cut off on 200tdi

Hi All,

I am feeling a little vulnerable since I did away with the snap off steering wheel :unsure: . Because of this I am thinking of wiring a discreet switch to disable the fuel solenoid in my 200tdi 90 and need some advice.

I am not asking for advice that might be useful to scumbags, just wire colour and the kind of amp capacity switch I would need (20amp?) and well any advice that might help. PMs appreciated if you don’t want to post sensitive details on forum.

Thanks for any kind help you can give me :) .

J

It's a small wire (probably 1mm² or so I'd have guessed) and the solenoid draws very little in terms of current so something like a 20-amp switch would be more than sufficient. I obviously don't need to tell you that any thief worth his salt will have a length of wire with some croc-clips on that will render it useless in 30 seconds!

But it doesn't make it not worth having, it might just stop some opportunistic scrote who fancies a joyride... so definitely worth doing for the simplicity of the installation :)

As has been stated previously, it takes very little current. A discrete switch tucked under the dash will be sufficient.

A friend did some clever wiring with his Fog Lamp switch such that with the ignition on, it worked as expected, but if you turned the Fog Lamp switch on with the ignition off, then it disabled the feed to the shut off solenoid.

Also as has been said, if they want the car, it can be hotwired in no time, it will however dissuade the casual thief. In comparison, I have a shut off valve in my fuel line by the rear tank, so it will go for a few miles then stop.

Regards

Peter