rr classic front diff

changread

Hi

On my 1991 rangerover classic bolted to the RH of the side of the diff is a 6" dia disc about 1" wide with a bit of steel cable around it which is broken and hanging down

it doesn't appear to be connected to anything, does anybody know what it is ?

As i use the car for RTV trials and it's lifted i thought i would remove it but want to be sure it's OK to do so.

Mike Rogers

I think the round heavy bit is probably the harmonic damper thingy. Not sure what the wire does in terms of the entire units operation- I took the whole lot off the Disco axle I recently fitted to my 90, no problem.

There is an L-shaped bracket bolted to the diff nose. From the side of this should be a rubber engine mount (200Tdi Defender mount) with a hollow circular steel or iron mass. This is a vibration damper for the diff (only fitted to RRC and Discovery, not Defender). The steel cable loops around the external fixings of the rubber mount, preventing complete loss of the mass if the rubber separates from the steel plates of the mounting (it would be a dangerous item to detach on the motorway).

You should either replace the cable with new under the wide retaining washers or remove the whole damper assembly from the axle.

• 4 weeks later...