Erratic temp gauge

Hello help needed

Just finished fitting a TD5 dash etc into my 300tdi defender using all the information from this forum, excellent write up by everyone so many thanks.

However i have a problem with the temp gauge sometimes it goes right of the scale i.e. into the red, and then back to normal I know the temp is normal in the landy what could it be that’s casing this to happen? I followed the write up and changed the temp sender unit on the engine.

It seems to happen when I apply the brakes or turn on the heater (yes I know a defender with a heater pure luxury) or sometimes just driving along, it’s doing my head in to find why this is happening and advice from the experts????? What to check and what to look for??

Many thanks Ivan

check on the bulkhead inboard of the brake servo, there is a bunch of earth wires secured by a screw or hex head bolt, remove it & clean & examine all the end terminals, replace terminals if any a severely corroded.

The 110 I bought recently had a temperature gauge that would rise whenever any electrical device was switched on. Lights, heater etc.

Turns out the engine earth strap was not connected properly. I re-connected it, and added a second one for good measure from one of the starter motor bolts to the battery negative terminal, bolted to the chassis along the way. Since then, all has been well it would seem :)