tracking

grumpy2

the previous tyres on my disco were slightly unevenly worn so I'm going to check the tracking when the weather bucks up. I've had the tie rod off and freed up the adjusters so the adjustments canbe easily made.

has anyone here used the gunson trackrite on a landrover? I've used it loads on my MG (and several pals too) and it works a treat but I don't know if it will cope with the weight or the tyre width.

any thoughts?

gary

I used a bit of wood and a tape measure, but string would have worked too.... I don't know what the gunson trackrite is, but if it is of the type where you drive over it for a set length, it is described in the haynes book of lies.

I was quite surpised to find that a disco needs to toe out, rather than toe in.

Cheers

Mark

I did it yesterday and either by luck or error it was spot on. I'm inclined to think error as I don't do luck!

the idea of toe in as I understand it is to allow for the push of a rear wheel drive car to 'straighten' to front when moving. that's why front wheel drive cars have toe out - the straighten when pulling. My disco book says 0 - 0.5 degrees toe out so that's probably because its four wheel drive.

My pal has a mechanical gauge so I think I'll double check with that.

cheers anyway

gary

A bit of string is fine on a LR. IIRC the measurement translates to 0 to 2mm toe out where the string crosses the sidewall, so if you aim for somewhere in the middle (about 0.5mm gap between string and rear sidewall on each tyre) it should be fine :)

Note that it is important to avoid raised white lettering in this process ;)

the previous tyres on my disco were slightly unevenly worn so I'm going to check the tracking when the weather bucks up. I've had the tie rod off and freed up the adjusters so the adjustments canbe easily made.

has anyone here used the gunson trackrite on a landrover? I've used it loads on my MG (and several pals too) and it works a treat but I don't know if it will cope with the weight or the tyre width.

any thoughts?

gary

It is an easy diy job to check the tracking on a coil sprung landy. Adjustment varies in difficulty dependant on whether the threads of the balljoints in the track rod are siezed or not.

All you need is an old extending car ariel strapped to a length of wood, or a couple of thin lengths of wood/metal rod/tube or similar which can be overlapped.

With the wheels straight ahead, extend the aerial(or overlap your 2 lengths of wood or whatever) to fit exactly between the two front wheels at the rim(in front of the axle), parallel with the ground and at the axle centre line. Compare the length you get with the same point behind the axle. Ideally you should be aiming for the length to be the same or up to about 1mm wider in front of the axle than behind.

If the tracking needs adjusting, loosen the clamps on both ends of the track rod (behind the axle) and rotate the track rod whilst leaving the balljoints bolted to the steering arms. Because one end of the track rod has a left hand thread, the track rod will get longer or shorter depending on which way you rotate the track rod tube. When you have got the tracking correct, tighten up the clamps.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff

thanks chaps, I've done the tracking on a few land rovers and the adjuster is always siezed. I freed this off earlier in the week. checked the tracking twice now, once with the gunsons gauge and again with my home made screw thread device, and it was spot on both times. the luck bit is because to free off the adjuster I remove the whole tie bar from the car and totally strip it on the bench, lubricate with copper grease and put it back on. After this much taking apart I'd expect the tracking to be way out, it ususlly is. this time lucky I guess

gary