gundrilled shafts

02GF74

question posted on another forum:

----------------------------------------------

Why do gundrilled driveshafts not shear off in conditions that cause solid shafts to shear?

I know all the theory behind tubular shafts being lighter and obviously that a thin walled shaft of the same cross sectional area as a solid one will be much stronger in torsion BUT

experience (not just by me of course) shows that gundrilled solid shafts will withstand vastly higher loadings that solid shafts of the same diameter, why is this?

--------------------------------------------------

assuming this ^^^ is correct, then anyone have an explanation as to why that would be?

'cos you could case harden the inside too?

Chris

Can't see it myself!

Consider the torsional shear stress distribution from the outside fibre to the inside/centre, then try to prove how case hardening the inside will make any difference.

Can't see it myself!

Consider the torsional shear stress distribution from the outside fibre to the inside/centre, then try to prove how case hardening the inside will make any difference.

That was a guess. I would have no clue how it would work, never mind be able to prove it!

Chris

I does not make a difference if you leave the outside diameter the same, in fact it makes it worse. However, if you start with a bigger diameter and drill a hole through the centre, the strength to weight ratio is much better. Any race car or rally car Which is allowed to spend money on has gundrilled shafts.

Problem with landrovers is that you cant up the outside dia of the shafts without changing a lot of other parts, so probably not worth the effort.

Daan

Thanks Daan - I was about to jump in with that (or something like it!)

As you move towards the centre of a solid shaft, the material makes pregressively less difference to the overall torsional strength.

While it is the case that a solid shaft is stronger than a tube, it is not by a staggering amount.

By taking the same mass of steel and making it in to a bigger diameter tube, you can gain a significant amount of strength.

Si

experience (not just by me of course) shows that gundrilled solid shafts will withstand vastly higher loadings that solid shafts of the same diameter, why is this?

yep - I think he/they are deluding themselves.

personally I cannnot see how removing material from the centre thus reducing cross sectional area cna make anything stronger. :huh: