fuel guage drops when I brake or indicate

Bit of an usual one really - my fuel gauge drops to zero when I brake or indicate, and then come back up when a release or cancel, it doesn't affect performance just annoying. Can anyone shine light on what could be causing this - many thanks Kevin

sorry, a bit of a novice here, (1995 defender 110)

vulcan bomber - are these wires likely to be behind the intrument console?

reiny - fuse for the petrol gauge??

stuck - voltage stabiliser - haven't a clue what that is but I'll look it up

Many thanks to all

Ok, you need to get up to speed on electrical circuits fast.

This is an oversimplification, but it works to explain:

The + (positive) electricity in the battery goes in a wire to the fuse box, and then on to the brake light switch.

When you press the brake the switch closes and the + electricity flows to the light bulb and then back to the - (minus) on the battery via the bodywork.

This makes a circuit.

Your landrover has a break somewhere in this circuit, most likely between the brake light bulb and the bodywork, and the electricity can't quite get back to the battery.

So, it goes another route - through your gauges.

What you need to do:

Get a wiring diagram for your landrover - it's a fairly simple wiring loom, if I recall correctly.

Get a continuity meter of some form, I use a multimeter,

and,

a long piece of decent auto wire with a crocodile clip on each end.

Get access to the brake light wiring - I think it's through the inside back of the rear tub. Connect the black wire coming from the light fitting to the - terminal on the battery and test the brake lights - if the problem is solved then the bit between the black wire and the - terminal of the battery is faulty.

Follow the wire along until you find the fault - it will probably be where it's bolted to the body - corrosion is most likely, but it could also be cut or ripped. Disassemble every connection as you go and attach the wire until you find the problem. Logic, linear thinking and stubbornness are what you need.

Post up your results, and sorry if this is a bit simplistic - I assume you are starting from naught.

G.

Glad it's pitched right - don't want to condescend.

I suggest you get the workshop manual - google it - also check the tech archive here. Then print out the circuit diagram, trace it with a pencil and work it through in your head.

Write down where all the connections and components are in the vehicle ans you'll be 1/2 way there. Assuming a previous owner hasn't done something stupid.

G.

sorry, a bit of a novice here, (1995 defender 110)

vulcan bomber - are these wires likely to be behind the intrument console?

reiny - fuse for the petrol gauge??

stuck - voltage stabiliser - haven't a clue what that is but I'll look it up

Many thanks to all

Have a look in the engine bay, above the clutch master cylinder on the bulkhead, there will be a black wire on a ring terminal, clean that terminal and the surface underneath it as a starting point.

Next, at the rear of the vehicle, on the inside, i the corners of the vehicle theres a cover plate over the lights. Remove this and then you'll see the wiring to the lights, look for a connector block with all black wires going to it, remove each wire and again, clean up and shove each wire back in... Then, clean the connection where the wire from the connector block meets the body work.

Hope that helps, let us know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, its taken me a while to get around to looking at this, you know the story, demanding red head wife, 2 kids etc etc. Anyway - in the end i had the fuel gauge dropping every time i breaked, indicated, put the lights on and all it was was the earth to the rear windscreen wiper had rusted up and needed replacing. As it happens i was replacing the rear door and noticed it by chance, thanks for all of your help.

I nearly had a heart attack when my 110 used to 'overheat' in the rain - with headlights on. Eventually I noticed that the fuel gauge also went up at the same time! I added an earth lead from the bulkhead to the engine which got rid of 90% of the problem. It seems to be a normal Defender thing.