mysterious leak, wheres it coming from.

discomikey

right, so i have a leak coming from the front of my engine thats developed. its obviously my 200TDI in Brian but its a disco engine so hence the post in here.

the leak only seems to occur post driving, so its somewhere post oil pump. ive had an investigation, and its coming from the front of the block somewhere, above the sump, and below the headgasket. from what i can see its coming from somewhere behind the PAS pump mounting bracket. which no longer houses a pump so its not that. all i can think of thats on the front of the block is the timing case, but surely that shouldnt be getting engine oil in there.

so before i get it to bits to investigate, does anyone have any ideas so i can use it to go fetch the seals/gaskets, failing that its probably a good idea to get the lot. (front crank seal, timing gasket, p gasket etc). the timing belt is less than 20k old so it shouldnt need replacing.

any other suggestions. ta.

I'm guessing its the timing chest/engine block gasket thats gone... I've just done one on a 300tdi and its a PITA! - lucky for you its a 200tdi, whuich is much much easier - I did my 200tdi on the 90 a few yrs back, it pretty much the same as a timing belt change but you take off a few more bits.

But defo make sure first its engine oil! and its not seeping out of your rocker cover or anything...

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=49267&hl=diamond&st=60 - a few pictures of when I did it... - I think i followed instructions from one of Les's how too...

Mav

yeah, ive no problem with stripping down the engine to investigate etc. i can tell its not the rocker or head gasket as the head and block is clean around the area.

luckily i thought ahead and copper greased all the timing case bolts cos i know how bad they can be.

im picking up my ramp on wedensday so once fitted that will be my first job on it. not that you need to use a ramp for it. but i will anyway. also i need to do my scehduled checkup on my brakes.