Axle question

The Salisbury / 110 story is a bit strange. It was originally fitted to the 109 which was mostly used in 2wd so needed a strong back axle. And the same axle was carried over to the 4wd Defender. It is a very strong diff so worth keeping.

I've managed to install ARB lockers into 2 different 110's salisbury diffs without needing to distort their cases. If it is necessary, it can be done with a cargo strop around the axle tube and centre x-member tensioned up.

Ray.

I've managed to install ARB lockers into 2 different 110's salisbury diffs without needing to distort their cases. If it is necessary, it can be done with a cargo strop around the axle tube and centre x-member tensioned up.

I agree - it's very easy, if you need to do it at all. Ratchet strap or winch are easiest.

Most older Sallisbury's (and they are all fairly old now) are worn enough that the diff just falls out!

Si

Before you spend money upgrading a Salisbury axle – whether it’s lockers or a disc-brake conversion – make sure you cost everything up carefully, it soon mounts up! It may well be cheaper to find a later standardised axle and add toys to that, which will give you disc brakes into the bargain.

E.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover-Defender-110-Rear-Axle-2006-/320951618883?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aba350d43