Transferring a Car to a New Owner from a Deceased Person

Steve King

Firstly apologies for a slightly O/T question, especially when there is another V5 type question on this forum.

In the circumstances, though I trust that the moderators will understand. :huh::)

My Mum died a couple of months ago and I have decided to take on her Fiesta as a run-a-round (a bit cheaper on fuel than the TD5 110!) overall nice condition and it hasn't even clocked up 30K!

Now, on the V5 there is a space for the new keeper and the registered keeper to sign. I have tried to ring DVLA but can't get though and I can't seem to find the answer online anywhere, but is it OK for me to sign both parts of the V5 - I am a joint executor of her estate (with my 2 brothers and they both consent to the transfer )??

visit your local area vehicle registration office

Birmingham

30 Granby Avenue

Garretts Green

Birmingham

B33 0SD

Vehicle Enquiries0300 790 6802

Driving Licence Enquiries0300 790 6801

with all the documents & appropriate certificate relating to your mothers situation also a letter from your mothers solicitor explaining the situation regarding the vehicle should hopefully make it easy for you & VRO/DVLA

good luck & condolences on your famiilies loss.

You have my sympathy.

When my brother died I took over the responsibility for his car. It was one we were restoring together. For one reason or another, at the time, I didn't want to lose the V5 with his details on and so I wrote to DVLA and requested a new V5 as the new registered keeper explaining that my brother had passed away. They sent a new V5 to me with my details on.

That was 20 years ago though and I am sure I sent a copy of the death certificate with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to do much the same when my Dad died 18 months ago. The DVLA (web page address above) were very helpful. I did all the paperwork as an executor and we transferred 1 car to my Mum as the new keeper and sold the other.

I did it for my wife (soon to be ex-wife) last year when her mother passed away. I think I filled in a DVLA form and sent a copy of the death certificate and it all went very smoothly. there was nothing to it. DVLA really looked after it.