Suspensions issues

Simon_CSK

Just purchased a 2001 Disco ES. Having had Range Rovers and Freelanders for years I thought I would try a Disco for a change having driven a Mondeo for the last 9 months :wacko:

I am collecting the car on Saturday the rear suspension is locked in the raised position and hitting the button on the dash does nothing to sort it. Having had a P38 with air suspension I am guessing that it is not leaking because it is raised and locked.

The compressor is obviously functioning as the suspension is raised. The warning light is on on the dash so I would think that it is a sensor problem.

Would appreciate any ideas or suggestions

The initial problem turned out no to exist because when I tried to rest the system the Drivers door was open Doh!! The other day however the Traction control light, the Hill descent light and the ABS light all came on together and will not go out

any ideas? Read one article which said about disconnecting the battery to see if the car would recreate the problem.

Oh dear - the 'Three Amigos'. You will need to put it on a pooter to see where the fault is. Often it is the wheel speed sensors which can often be fixed by giving them a 'technical tap' with a hammer inwards so they get closer to the sensor wheel thingy. If that fails you will have to change the sensor. There is also a block of three sensors under the ABS pump - unfortunately you have to take the pump out to get at them. And that means you will have to bleed the system afterwards which needs the pooter again. At worst you will need a new or second-hand ABS pump.

Not really good news I'm afraid. Remember that if the ABS doesn't work neither does the traction control which means you will be down to one-wheel drive so don't hit the mud.

Jim so you have delivered the bad news and mcc has the good news but either way it is on to the "pooter". That means a visit to a good friend who has bought all the diagnostic kit and is friends with everybody locally who knows Land Rovers lol.

Thanks guys will keep you posted. I suspect that it is something to do with the ABS as it occured when I breaked very hard and activated the ABS.

there is a fault that develops with the shuttle valve in the abs unit - i did find a fix for it that doesn't involve disturbing the hydraulics just by googling discovery abs shuttle valve repair - best get it diagnosed first though, could be something completely unrelated....