Starter Case Bolts

landi41

Havn't been driving the 110 petrol lately and its sitting around hasn't been a good thing..........

Its been hard starting lately, the starter giving off that clicky solenoid sound that usually indicates a low battery charge............

Since we were off to a long week-end of off roading i had to fix it..........

Charge battery full up and same old sound.......so why not finally have a look at the starter lead connection.................. effing hell......the two bolts holding the starter together have completley "backed out"....damned thing just hanging there teathered by the soleniod to starter case lead..........

Oh well............... remove starter, may as well refurbish at this time.........

do all thats necessary....re-assemble........using loctite red on the bolts........test.........fit starter........... Wow !! spun things over at a good rate............

Patting myself on the back for a job well done the sandbag and i head out............

Everything worked fine all Friday evening, all day Saturday and even this morning.............. but wait..........

We wanted to so one more trail today but our friends wanted to go home, so we decided to "go it alone"

We followed a trail (solo) which got progressively more difficult (don't they all?)

Anyway we reached the trail end at a rather lovely lake and stoped for a late lunch..............

Ready to leave and........wait for it.............. the starter had come apart again...........

I mean we are in "helicopter country" here, miles from nowhere, (as they say in New Brunswick, we were so far back we'd have to come out to hunt !)

So what to do? I attempted repairs...no luck!!

Well we ran the winch cable underneath the truck and managed to winch the truck backwards to a small knoll, where i was able to roll backwards and catch the engine in reverse, it started.............. !!!!

Wow what luck.........we headed for home and made it without incident..........

Bring back starting handles :) :) :)

I guess a new starter is needed since the bolts have pulled thru the aluminum "nosepiece"

Or maybe i'll think of some sort of repair................

Hope everyone had a good week-end !! :)

Rogue and LR 90

No such thing as 5 miles from help in this country....hell....most havn't ever seen a Defender let alone a RH drive one :) :)

I guess i kept the revs up !! in any event i keep the idle set at 1000 rpm always.....

Just have to add we were in virgin off-road country, all part of an extremely large Canadian Army Base 50 x 75 miles in area, almost in our back yard....... the military are very generous in letting civies use it on week-ends :)

I suppose if one were really in trouble they would come and find you with one of their new G-Wagens......NOT :) :) :)

"Mind, I wouldn't mind having a yard a fraction of that size to play in. Very nice. "

Hello again LR90.................

This area is called "Base Gagetown" many British soldiers would be familiar with it since they used to train here on a regular basis...........

I remember seeing the first of the Royal Marines when they came over years ago with their Land Rovers.......... We used to see them on the trails and i must say a number of beers were shared with them :) :)

Just a week ago we had a bunch of Irish lads here they wanted to check my ID but i said lets go for a beer !! :)

McKeelLake008.jpg