td5 engine oil cooler

Team Idris

We did the head gasket + new head and still have oil in the water. But only on motorway work.

My guess is the oil cooler on the side of the block?

Disscuss :)

Pretty fliperty annoying I can tell you.

Black oil maybe should have been a give away, and typical of a heat exchanger that only leaks when thermally expanded.

I didn't think that was too bad a price considering the production numbers and what a pig they are to make. And way cheaper than the £900 head :)

Should be a good truck when it is done, but still need a look in the clutch. Somebody with a lift and a support frame can tackle that though. Rangy racer is bad enough, and the floor comes out of that ^_^

Woohay, long timey no speaky. I thought about you, being a Td5 man :)

Same here with the external dry cooler idea. Shelves of Serc coolers at work, but how easy to exit the block's oil galleries? So I wrote to Andy Allisport to see if he had any fixes or advice. Nothing back yet, and maybe being a road motor it's best to stick with normal-ish parts.

Really it hinged on how the outside of the ally housing looked? Is it plain or is it covered by the spinner and oil filter? Would it need a sandwich block? I'm keen to see what the banjo bolts do, so hopefully Terry will ring us when its in bits :wacko:

AHA!

Cooler corroded around O ring so the internal O rings popped.

The housing has not corroded at the same point, but it has where it goes to the block. So we think best to get a 'complete' package. The housing works out about £140, so not worth welding and milling flat, given the trouble it could cause loosing coolant. Not to mention risk of swalf in the galleries from milling!

I have the old housing here all cleaned up. I hope to make a CAD drawing of the hole pattern so anyone on here can get a 19mm ally plate water jetted out. Then you can fit a remote filter housing and the spinner if you feel the need?

• 3 weeks later...