24v series 3 lighting issues... Help...

mutley25uk

I am hoping someone can help, I have an '83 series 3 109 24 volt FFR that has developed a issue with the lighting. On tail or tail and side it's fine but with head lights the n/s is fine but o/s no head light and the indicator is on rather than side light, in this state hazards flash opposite to each other, lights off they are ok, I have no full beam although the blue light is always on, the indecators do sort of work but I need the headlights on pull the stalk to flash position then I can indicate?? I assume it is an earth or one of the many relays but i am no auto electrician, I live in the bury st Edmunds area and any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea who to take it to...

http://www.remlr.com/documents/Wiring/S3%20wiring%20diagram%20-%2079.pdf

might help, not sure if matches your exact year. Does sound like bad earths, check at the lights affected for the b=black wires, which should be bolted to wing box or body areas near to light groups and clean/scrape lugs. A serated washer may help. if the aluminium is really oxidised pick a spare bolt hole nearby and try a fresh piece of aluminium.

i.e rear right light cluster should be fed with multi-colours and all earths from lamps should be commoned together and then be bolted to body earth nearby. In my case behind the rear right light cover on seat box.

Yep, sounds very much like bad earths, these are normally down on the inner wing IIRC.

Also wiggle the switch around a lot and squirt contact cleaner in it, this can often solve many lighting issues on the 6-way switch system.

• 2 weeks later...

If the dipped beam works normally but the main beam doesn't work at all, while displaying the dash warning light, it sounds like the main beam wire between the switch and the lamp units is broken. It could just be that the bullet connector has come out of the joint near the right side of the radiator, killing power to both lights.

As for the indicators, it does sound like an earth fault, and it's worth checking all the lighting earths are in good order rather than just trying to identify the culprit of the present fault as once you fix that, another is likely to crop up.