Pro-Comp snapped at eye - Again!

steve_a

David,

no way are those lower nuts going to vibrate loose! pig of a job to get the bloody thing off on all the ones I have done. This new one was a pig and I copper slipped it in feb..

So washers at top now correct, and bottom washers are wrong on replacement side?

On a related note, does anyone have any experience of running ProComps upside-down? I've got a pair of eye/pin shocks for the rear of my Ninety, but the eye is at the wrong end if I follow the 'this end up' instructions on the shock body.

unless they use an internal floating piston, they won't work, or at least not properly.

On a related note, does anyone have any experience of running ProComps upside-down? I've got a pair of eye/pin shocks for the rear of my Ninety, but the eye is at the wrong end if I follow the 'this end up' instructions on the shock body.

Assuming compressins and rebound damping are different (which is typical) then turning them upside down doesn't sounds like a good idea.

I've seen David's new shocks - and they do indeed overcome the main problems with Pro-Comps. The welding looked a bit better too.

If he can get the marketing right - and get some Looooooong shocks - they should give Pro-Comp a run for their money.

I've been quite impressed with the Pro-Comps - they have done much better than the Ranchos and provide better damping.

Si

unless they use an internal floating piston, they won't work, or at least not properly.

Can you elaborate Rick? I've heard mixed reports, but they seem to damp my amateur benchpressing efforts upside down. I appreciate that's not an in-service test though, but I've heard from some people that it'll be ok. I don't know about the internal setup, can't find anything quickly on the net and I'm not about to cut a new shock apart... Will they damp less, not at all, overcharge one end and effectively seize, will it damage them?

Can you elaborate Rick? I've heard mixed reports, but they seem to damp my amateur benchpressing efforts upside down. I appreciate that's not an in-service test though, but I've heard from some people that it'll be ok. I don't know about the internal setup, can't find anything quickly on the net and I'm not about to cut a new shock apart... Will they damp less, not at all, overcharge one end and effectively seize, will it damage them?

OK I'm assuming (yep, very dangerous) that they are a conventional twin tube type damper, therefore they use a 'foot valve' at the base of the pressure tube for bump damping.

When standing upright, there is a ceratin amount of air space in the outer tube to allow for displaced fluid by the shaft under bump. Tip it upside down and the foot valve will cavitate, airate the rest of the fluid and bugger up rebound as well.

Years ago I was told that Rancho's could be inverted as they used a "cellular gas chamber" in the outer tube.

carp you could. It was a bit of expanded foam, the oil capacities varied a bit and the thing didn't work upside down. I went bouncing merrily down the road.

Carrera in the states use twin tube shocks in circle track racing that have a gas 'condom' in the outer tube and these things can be run upside down as they run enough oil not to cavitate and the condom takes up the availalble space for fluid displacement, much like a floting piston/gas chamber in a mono-tube.