Cat d write off problems

mikec

Cat A is the worst of the four, where a vehicle is so damaged that it cannot even be used for salvage and should be crushed.

Cats B and C mean that the vehicle has been heavily damaged and the insurance company has chosen not to go ahead with the repairs. Cat C cars are usually capable of being salvaged if the repairs are carried out correctly.

Cat D is the least serious category. It usually means that the vehicle has suffered light damage but the insurance company's decision to repair it is dependent on the cost of the repairs and the value of the vehicle.

If you're buying a Cat D car, there's no guarantee that it hasn't incurred chassis damage. You can find out for sure by investing in a full mechanical inspection at an approved dealership, or by RAC Inspections.

If you buy a Cat D car, make sure your insurance company knows about it, otherwise they might not pay up on any claim.

Cat D isn't a 'write off' - it was just uneconomical for the insurers to repair - cost of repairing a cracked bumper or scratched panel on a P38 might quite quickly creep towards the bottom book value of the car when it's repaired at an insurers bodyshop using genuine parts.

Cat D doesn't have to be declared to anyone, though it is good form to tell someone you're selling the car to and one reason you should always do a HPI check these days.

It was written off back in 2002 when it was only three years old, the car check people said cat d is roughly where the cost of fixing is about 60% of the value, back in 2002 this wouldn't of been a small amount! So who knows

My last 90 was a Cat D when I bought it. After I repaired it, a member of the local constabulary came round to check its numbers all tallied. I assumed they had been notified by DVLA. All was fine and it was actually a bit of a laugh because he had paperwork to tell him where to look but he was not supposed to damage paint... I got the rotary wire brush out to expose the number on the chassis which took a bit of effort with the years worth of paint etc

A write off is write off plain and simple ! Wheather it's a,b,c or d basically an insurance company has already paid out on a claim against the vehicle so they will not pay again!! All be it a lot lot less than the a proper vehicle is worth. I've worked in car sales for 15yrs and as I have always been told a vehicle on the register is worth about a 3rd of its straight brother. It pays to always hpi check.

Once got a cat c car to fix up and sell on, it needed an indicator and the driver wing painted then i got a cat d and it needed front bumper, driver wing/headlight, wishbone, shock track rod and a wheel and tyre. Strange how the cat c needed barely anything but the lesser cat d needed quite a bit.

Mind at the price the breakers and others are asking for cat c/d you are aswell to go out and buy a straight motor.

So the p38 ive bought and struggled getting insurance for has turned out to be a cat d write off, any pitfalls I should be aware of? Never dealt with this kind of thing before. Cheers mike

everytime iv had a cat c/d registered into my name the V5 always came back with a comment saying the vehicle has been repaired due to excessive damage so when someone comes to buy them there would be no hiding the fact that it was a damaged/repairable.