DOT 3 versus DOT4 brake fluid

JeffR

May have dropped a shpaerical chaps. Got the braking system on a 200TDi Disco dismantled this evening, only to find that the only brake fuid I've got is DOT3 rather than the recomended DOT4 , will it matter? Cos there ain't a cat in hells chance of getting a litre or two of DOT4 on a Sunday, in Northumberland and I need the vehicle back on the road tomorrow evening...

Agree Dot3 will be fine, I wouldn't panic switching to Dot4, just do it at the next service. Just surprised you got Dot3 as I have just been on the web and hardly anyone sells it anymore. Ordered my Dot4 from Opie oils this morning as there is currently an extra 20% discount and it was already cheap.

Agree Dot3 will be fine, I wouldn't panic switching to Dot4, just do it at the next service. Just surprised you got Dot3 as I have just been on the web and hardly anyone sells it anymore. Ordered my Dot4 from Opie oils this morning as there is currently an extra 20% discount and it was already cheap.

Was in a hell of a rush at the local motor factors and grabbed the first container that said brake fluid!

Well that was an absolute tw*t of a job, replacing flexis only to find I had to replumb the entire bloody system, not to mention rebuilding the radius arm bracket, spring seat, finding that sometime in the past two weeks that most of the radiator fins have fell off, oh and the rot in the inner wings has spread faster than bad news in Parliament........