dreaded m and s lights

jibbyman

Common fault, its the xyz (gearbox position) switch on the side of the gearbox, the air con system creates condensation when in use which drains through two little tubes under the car on the trans tunnel, one of these tubes is directly above the switch so the switch gets wet and it doesnt like it. Get under the car and lengthen the pipe with some suitable hose stuffed into the drain tube and you should never have the problem again, but do it soon before the switch becomes permanently damaged.

Agree. Mine have been playing up so i removed the XYZ switch, took it apart and gave it a good clean. There was no obvious water ingress but 1 of the contacts did look dirty so I cleaned it up and bolted it back together. When i went to test it the battery was flat (truck has been parked up for 4 weeks). I used my boost starter to fire it up but was dissappointed to see the lights were still there. Anyway, I read somewhere that these MS lights can also be caused by poor charging issues so I waited until the battery was fully charged and hey presto... no more M&S lights! Trouble is now I don't know whether I fixed the issue by cleaning the switch or whether I have had charging issues all along! Me thinks i need to read the codes some time soon.

• 3 years later...

I agree that is the problem, I made a short video while I was sorting out the xyz switch so that you can see where the air con drips water on the switch.

The two green lights come on as you say called M&S and the auto box goes into limp home mode.

The connector can go rusty as well from the water. Every time I go through reverse on the auto box the dreaded green lights come on. I got under the Discovery with a micro camera and filmed up inside the body while filming and watching the laptop picture.

If you put the front wipers on and put the auto box into reverse, the rear wiper should come on if the circuit is working as it receives a signal via the ECU and BCU.

Watch the video here.