Repairing holes in Defender roof

Ive had an old 90 smooth roof down the side of my workshop for ages, (removed it to fit a truckcab) I was going to chuck it as it had a few holes drilled in it for aerial mounting and wires but thought I'd get my TIG out and repair it as i haven't used it for ages. Might be of use to other people with the same problem to show it can be repaired neatly and properly instead of rivetting a patch on top as is often seen. Sorry lack of photos I forgot to take a before shot!

Hole enlarged to just come in contact with the underside reinforcing rib - this will help support the patch while tacking it up. Luckily the two holes are right on the rib which will make it a whole lot easier to weld as the reinforcing will stop a lot of the heat distortion.

wheels175_zps18da5fa8.jpg

Next step to cut a piece of alloy the same thickness to be an exact fit as the material is so thin; I took it from an old scrap wingtop. Photo shows another peice of wingtop used as a practice piece to set up the welder

wheels176_zps6b200e6f.jpg

Tack in place then seam weld up. Sorry I got carried away and sanded it back before I had taken a photo. Photo below shows finished repair ready for the slightest skim of filler, I hate using it but unavoidable on something so thin. I have used panel beating hammer and dolly to just ease down slight distortion to the left of the repair.

wheels177_zps6dff876e.jpg

Roof now ready for skim, prime and repaint. Took 30 mins to get to this stage.