Loading motorcycles into a 90?

We used to use a plank of wood with a couple of countersunk bolts to hold it in place on the back of the motor. I used to deliver bikes with my Uncle.

Why? Because it will flex before it breaks, takes a spill of oil with aplomb, wood doesn't ruin tyres, won't rub against paintwork and cheap as anything. We tried steel, aluminium and plastic, nothing beat the wood. (excuse the pun).

Cheers,

Mike

I’m no motorcyclist, but I have loaded motorbikes a couple of times into trailers and pickups…and frankly, for what they cost, I would advocate a cheap’n’cheerful dedicated trailer,* preferably a 3-bike one. A 3-bike version means you can carry a single bike in the middle and keep the thing well balanced.

Whilst you can get dedicated ‘pick-up’ ramps (and in the US they cost a fraction of what they do here), at the end of the day a 90 truck bed is too small to be able to secure two bikes without at least one of the loadpoints (i.e. the wheel) being outboard of the truck! In other words, if you don’t have an accident loading the blady things you might well have one driving home!

Just my £0.02

* or adapting a trailer you may already have with a ramp and securing arrangement

Edit: Just noticed you are in Finland so the ebay link may not help much, but get the idea ;-)

A 90 is useles for carrying bikes - unless you want to tow a trailer for two bikes.One bike is OK on a rack,but two need to go in a trailer.Or you could trade in and buy a 110.

For me the bikes are more important than the LR,so an Ifor Williams P7e trailer with a wooden frame dropped in works well.(To hold front and rear wheels in line)The trailer makes it very easy to load the bikes and protects them well from road grime/salt etc.Plus its also VERY uselful as a trailer on its own for firewood/LR parts/bales of straw for parties etc.

If people are honest 90's are very limited in their usefullness,a Discovery or 110 is much better.

I have a couple of ex army bridging plates that I have used when loading in my daughter's scooter (nearly 2m long!) into the back of my 110 CSW.

A friend of mine has a frame that attaches to his dixon bates tow bar that holds his Yamaha 250 trails bike, which he uses to go up to wales. 70mph as opposed to 60mph on motorways :) but I would go for the trailer if you want to look after the bikes!