want to charge battery

defender dinky

hi, i want to charge battery on wifes p38, is there a certain way i should do this, because i think last time she had warning on the dash, 35 max, tried to jump it earlier and the horn started going off and central locking was going up and down, this happened same time last year battery dying every few daysbut battery is newish 18months, any ideas cheers dd

• 2 weeks later...

I don't disconnect mine to charge, but a friend had no end of alarm & c/l problems when he used to disconnect his p38 battery so in the end he ran cables from another battery to the alternator so that the car was still live when he disconnected it.

If a good battery is randomly going flat start by pulling fuses out and sticking your ammeter in instead, atleast it will give you an idea what certain circuits are doing when the ignition is off.

I don't disconnect mine to charge, but a friend had no end of alarm & c/l problems when he used to disconnect his p38 battery so in the end he ran cables from another battery to the alternator so that the car was still live when he disconnected it.

If a good battery is randomly going flat start by pulling fuses out and sticking your ammeter in instead, atleast it will give you an idea what certain circuits are doing when the ignition is off.

i thought of getting a twin battery set up some how, perhaps on a split charge set up, just a thought, dd

split charge setups usually disconnect the two batteries when the engine is off so that you don't run your engine battery flat whilst your camping at night with the lights and radio on so wouldn't help in this situation.

he jsut had his on the floor whilst he was swapping the batteries.

• 3 weeks later...

hi, i want to charge battery on wifes p38, is there a certain way i should do this, because i think last time she had warning on the dash, 35 max, tried to jump it earlier and the horn started going off and central locking was going up and down, this happened same time last year battery dying every few daysbut battery is newish 18months, any ideas cheers dd

The 35 max is an air suspension error isn't it. usually if the vehicle can't raise off bump stops. Likley to be caused by jumping from flat batt. Seen all sorts of strangeness with low/flat voltages, all four indicators lit up and stayed on (not flashing).

If it's anything like ours the flat battery is caused by the alarm rf receiver being an older variant that wakes the car up every other minute and flattens the battery. You can tell if this is happening by waiting till night time (easy this time of year) and looking at the centre console there is a red light next to P on gear shift.

If you lock the car or even just close the door to and leave it two minutes the red light will go off. If it comes straight back on without you doing anything it has woken back up from the rf receiver in the back right hand side quarterlight panel.

This draws 2 amps from the battery every time it wakes up, to power the becm.

The frequency the fob/receiver uses is the same a some wireless weather stations/ doorbells/ door openers/ wireless energy meters etc etc.

the cheap fix is to unplug the blue wire (antenna) which goes to the glass antenna, and use the remote (fresh batteries) within 1-2 foot of receiver.

Or

Buy the new rf receiver which works properly for £170

Or leave the rangie on trickle charge when not using