Crimping tool?

jonost24

Just started the loom :-)

A daft question, but I have the bog standard wire crimper, cutter, stripper that most people have. Is this suitable for crimping the terminals for the connectors, or is there some super-duper special job that gives a super-duper job?

I have the ratchet crimper similar to shown above which is great for the red / blue / yellow terminals.

I don't have one for the uninsulated type like you would use on the injector plugs or relay sockets so I do my best to roll the edges with a pair of bull nose pliers then put a drop of solder on. I would buy a tool if I knew which one would work properly :unsure:

Depends which connectors you mean; I have different crimpers for insulated or uninsulated as the jaw shape is different.

I think most of the connections are the uninsulated type, like the injector connections and the coil pack connections, so I think it's a crimper that does those?

They are also much nicer to use than those multicrimper tools that are given away crimp kits. Ratchet crimpers have that nice feeling of a definite stop when the crimp is made, unlike the other type where you are never quite sure if you have squeezed it enough.