GPS Trackers

DrRob

I was a senior manager of a skip waste and recycling company, we had trackers on all of our plant and machinery and cars and vans, even my D3 had a tracker on it!!!

It could be used to snail trail and even determine speeds and excess speeds, you could even see what time the engine started and stopped!!

Operating parameters set and then calls from service provider if there was an out of hours start or movement!! Not always so funny when the low loader was on early morning manouvers with the crusher on it's back, lost count of the calls at 4:30 to tell me it was moving, only one question followed, is No. 233 in motion also and followed by yes, and then say thanks and hang up.

bloody good ideas but seems to be a lot of scare mongering going on with security products just lately!!!

You can buy the same hardware on eBay for about £60. Since Back2you are using free tracking software - im not sure where the value-add in the £195 price is? Maybe the fact that they offer smart phone apps? However, the free software is web based and works perfectly well on a smartphone anyway - im not sure what extra an app gives you!

I have one (from China) which cost about £50 which seems pretty good - and I've just ordered one costing £12 on eBay to see if it's any good!

I don't bother with any software - just communicate with it by Text message which doesnt rely on there being GPRS data available (still quite patchy in the UK). It returns a link to google maps which will open on the phone showing the trucks location.

Si

You can buy the same hardware on eBay for about £60. Since Back2you are using free tracking software - im not sure where the value-add in the £195 price is? Maybe the fact that they offer smart phone apps? However, the free software is web based and works perfectly well on a smartphone anyway - im not sure what extra an app gives you!

I have one (from China) which cost about £50 which seems pretty good - and I've just ordered one costing £12 on eBay to see if it's any good!

I don't bother with any software - just communicate with it by Text message which doesnt rely on there being GPRS data available (still quite patchy in the UK). It returns a link to google maps which will open on the phone showing the trucks location.

Si

Thanks! Can you post link to the one you have tried and tested?

I want one very similar to back2you one ie self contained, magnetic, SIM card etc

Ta

Rob

Self contained is good. Magnetic less so.

I would put it in a sealed plastic box and fit it somewhere unusual I.e. not inside the dash or headlining. There are a few really good hiding places in a Defender where it will get a good view of the sky through a layer or two of plastic which will not impede the signal too much.

Even on the waterproof ones, I would not rely on the seals - as I've found with the last one I bought!

Si