Patrol rear difflock - vacuum to air

il-bob

Hello,

These last few months, I saw the light :P , and after some research I decided to put Y61 axles on my Range Rover proto, mostly since upgraded Landy axles will not hold more then 36" tyres without breaking. Quick look on ebay and got a pair of axles from a 2003 Patrol from the UK. Few weeks later and axles are now enjoying the sun in Malta

After a few considerations, and a new front ARB locker, I'm considering the idea of converting rear factory diff lock to air activation, in order to have a single system. Has this been done before or any one can shed some light?

Will post some pics of the RR in due course :i-m_so_happy:

thanks,

bob

If the vacumn actuator is in good nick, it should be off a 2003. then i'd just use it you will allready have vacumn on board, from either vac pump or inlet manifold. and they can be switched very easily using a 5 port pneumatic switch.

make sure you have a good vacume feed as the damage can occur if its only partially engauged.

Thanks for your reply, but why a 5 port pneumatic switch? Doesn't the actuator move back to 'disengaged' position on it's own when switched off?

Also, out of ignorance, can an air operated pneumatic switch be used, or is there a specific vacuum switch?

thanks,

bob

Bob, it needs suction on both sides to pull it in and then to pull it out. It is not spring loaded. I used a 5 port vacuum switch from a Subaru Justy 4wd engangement (since i had one in the yard!). You can test it simply by sucking on a pipe on either side of the rear locker switch, it takes very little pressure to move the sliding dog..