LPG system petrol shut off solenoid valve

dave88sw

I should probably start by saying i haven't actually got a gas kit fitted, nor is my landy petrol.

However, i've been looking at anti theft devices and came across a fuel shut off solenoid marketed as an anti theft device for about £90. This seemed a bit ott for a shut off valve.

I then remembered gas kits fitted to carburettor fed engines use a petrol shut off valve to stop the fuel when running on gas, this must be as near as damn it the same thing.

I've found this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Petrol-solenoid-shut-cut-off-valve-12V-autogas-conversions-liquid-air-/160900829501?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25766fd13d

But i'm a bit unsure about the 6/8mm connections as obviously its a 6mm internal diameter right through with just a shoulder for an 8mm pipe to fit snugly. Will this cause a restriction in the fuel delivery? Also will this valve be suitable for diesel? I can't think there's anything in it to suffer from the use of diesel rather than petrol?

cheers

Dave

its not a bad idea but depending on where you site the solenoid, there would be enough fuel to start the engine, drive a short distance and then run out of fuel. if you site the solenoid too close to the engine, it would be obvious and easy to bypass.

tinleytech sell shutoff valves for 12 quid ish, plus vat and delivery, intended for use on a v8 petrol. that should easily flow enough fuel for a diesel, but i dont see any landy diesel drawing too much fuel for a 6mm valve

the wiring to the stop solenoid is a bit too obvious, any toerag nicking a landy will know how to get round that in seconds. doing both would be a better solution, as well as fitting a battery isolator.

Thanks for the responses. This won't be the only security mod, just one of many, as pointed out, if sited near the fuel tank (out of sight and hard to find) the engine would start and run and run a short distance, i quite like this idea, if they have got as far as to get it started, they think great, drive away and then it cuts out. At that point i'd hope they'd ditch it at the side of the road and run (hopefully without torching it). I just think for the sake of a few quid for the valve, if it saves the landy from getting nicked it will be worth it.

Thanks again