Autobox-no go

wettstuff

Hello chaps

I'm new to range rover owning, having just bought a 4.6 V8 hse auto, absolutely stunning vehicle, unlike anything i;ve ever driven.#Drove back from Berkshire to Mid Wales yesterday no problems at all

However last night after supper and maybe a bit to much wine i had to move it further down the drive to allow my girlfiend to get out.

As far as i can remember i did everything right(nothing to go wrong he says)

But for some reason i know no longer have and drive in hi or lo backwards or forwards. Now i dont remeber taking the handbrake off(stupid moment) but could this have bent, broken or twisted something, are the gearbow and handbrake connected in anyway?

Also when the auto selctor is put into park there is a very horrible whirring/grinding noise

Any help you guys can give me is greatly recieved

PS: Just to add its my own drive on private land and no public roads where harmed during this adventure and i know i shouldn't have been shouldn't drive under the influence)

Many thanks

Mark

from low mode or select N and leave 5 secs, then move to high mode all beeping and flashing should stop and gears should be lit on high side. Try going from high to low the same i.e go to N leave 5 secs move to low N leave 5 secs and lights should switch over and beeping should stop. then try D or reverse. If no joy try 1, 2 or 3 to pull away. If this works the ashcrofts hp22 autobox page has a breakdown of the fault.

If this doesn't work it might be worth cheching the cable/rod hasn't slipped on the selector fork under the car. As P shouldn't have nasty noises, the adjustment is done with a couple of m6 nuts, just remember to mark/measure before adjusting

After that the only thing i can think is the torque converter has had it, if the noise is permanent through all positions PNRD123 etc and you have no drive.

Then best give ashcrofts a ring for more expert help

http://www.ashcroft-...iewCat&catId=79 two 4hp22 faq's

Thanks for the replies chaps,

Pete300 just about to try what you suggested (fingers crossed)

Dave i take it this i due to me putting excess strain on the gearbox? any idea what a new/decent secondhand transfer case might be?

or the splines on the shaft?

Mark

Dave is a guru when it comes to LR auto boxes and transfer cases. See his website for prices etc.

From what Dave says the transfer box will be the problem, and won't cost as much, or be as much hassle as a new gearbox. I changed one in a day with a trolley jack and cradle. The one i did the viscous coupling had had it and the chain had done 100,000 miles, so was ready for a recon.

Pete