Flatdog Ground Anchor

RichardAllen

Has anyone had a go with the ground anchor Faltdog have for £50 or so ?

It looks similar to the ex-army ones but scaled down. Afer all I only want to recover a Landy, not a Challenger, so maybe it would do. I only have in mind rairly mild laning, not winching trials or anything.

Regards

Richard

I have a feeling the Army ones are the size they are for a reason! I'm not that convinced a mini one is going to give you enough traction in all circumstances.

The Army ones work well so long as you've got lots of super-fit people to help. I tried using one and was exhausted by the time I'd hammered half the pins in! Getting them out again was not easy either.

The advantage they have is the ability to work in more ground conditions than spade type anchors - but it does come at a cost. After that, I made my own!

Si

The MOD one is too large for and expo truck though,

Not with clever storage. I have a system made up as per attached pics which stores it under the floor in the back, you can get the pins out even with a full vehicle and the tube doesn't need to live where it is in the photo but it isn't hard to get at. Of course you also need to carry a 7lb sledgehammer to knock the pins in (and out) with :)

post-33-0-28560700-1352023716_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-34304100-1352023732_thumb.jpg

If this is the Flatdog anchor referred to http://www.flatdoguk...ound-anchor~750 I think it would be OK with fairly hard ground and may well be fine with your typical greenlane conditions over there.

However, look at the photo below of my anchor pulling out and note how it fails

post-33-0-97768400-1352023742_thumb.jpg

The end opposite the hook pulls up out of the ground and then the pins pull out. I haven't used any of the flat plate ones, but have a lot of experience using the MOD anchor in all types of soil from bottomless peat to hard soil and clay. The tube design prevents the pins from twisting in the anchor body, so they always stay vertical, and my bet with any plate type anchor would be that the pins would pull through the soil a bit and then twist and pull out.

I also have one of HfH's Kittygrippers. Neither anchor is perfect (though my KG also has some cosmetic blemishes :ph34r:) but in soft ground the Milemarker can and has pulled them both out chained together, so nothing is perfect and I carry both of them most of the time. Either works well in harder soils, neither works particularly well in soft soils, which is not a great surprise. The KG takes up a lot more space in the vehicle than the tube, though I used to carry it on the roof rack of the 90, but I don't have a rack on the 110.

Kitty gripper has proved its worth twice now. cost me £100 2nd hand, takes less than 5min to put together and packs reasonably small.

I would also rate a PRT if you can get one cheap enough.

If its too big or too heavy you just wont use it or carry it.

G

Kitty gripper has proved its worth twice now. cost me £100 2nd hand, takes less than 5min to put together and packs reasonably small.

I would also rate a PRT if you can get one cheap enough.

If its too big or too heavy you just wont use it or carry it.

G

G, I just Goggled kitty gripper and came up with this:

kittygripper.jpg

Only one question, where do you attach the winch rope?

Jason.

One thing I did try was carrying a square plate, only about 25cm square with an eye welded about 8cm from one edge.

You dig a narrow slot in the ground and feed the plate in vertically with the eye at the bottom. Cut another slot in the ground for the cable & hook then pull.

If you get the eye in the right place, it will try to bury itself, much like a traditional ground anchor.

It's modelled on what is known as a 'dead mans handle' or dead mans anchor used in climbing, but also on the idea of burying your spare tyre as an anchor.

It didn't work anywhere near as well as a proper ground anchor, but showed promise for light pulls.

Under my bench I have the blade from an X-Anchor that I keep meaning to make something similar out of - just to try! It, at least stands a chance of burying itself.

Si

I've just had an idea!

2 hours later, I've tried it - and it didn't work!

The idea was just the anchor blade with an adjustable bridle made out of steel cable. The bridle had two attachment points for the winch hook. My intention was that you would use one to bury the anchor and the other to winch against. With a normal anchor, the blade is more vertical as its digging, then, as it buries itself, the angle becomes more shallow.

I could get it to work by hammering it into the ground to start off, then making a series of fine adjustments to the bridle as it got deeper - but it wasn't a very user-friendly process!

The garden now has a few new 'landscaping features' ;) Shhh -don't tell Sarah! I'll blame em on the local Foxes!

Need to have a think before I try again I think!

Si