Sort of tool related question to do with a Ifor trailer!

welshsurferdude

There has been a couple on ebay with extra axle's bolted on. For what reason Im unsure, as DirtyD says, it will actually reduce the trailers capacity.

Why do you want an extra axle? You can't legally tow more weight anyway!

Should have bid on the 14ft indespension i bought shouldnt you!

No im not after more weight! just more rubber on the road as Ill be towing 1000miles each way couple times a year and my train of thought was that a extra axle would make it more stable and tow straight and be less suspectible to snaking so to speak? its only few extra kilos, the van I will be using to tow will ideally be a 413cdi or 515cdi lwb sprinter camper van so i will be allowed 6-7 ton train weight, i cant remember exactly.

dirty, i did think so but I wanted a ifor ideally as a mate works for local ifor dealer so cheap parts and i use them all the time at work too :-)

I don't think adding a extra axle to an ifor will automatically make it stable

It'll have far more to do with how you load it and what you tow it with.

My "best"towing trailer is a bateson 7'6" wide 16' long bed, it is a twin axle on knott indispension axles, it tows unbelivably well due mostly i believe because the axles are a mounted a long way back, it likes a lot of nose weight, which most tow motors don't.

A friend of mine fitted an extra axle to his 6'6" x 16' ifor, and whilst he did say it towed better and tracked a lot straighter on fast roads, he did say the front and rear tyres scrubbed off quickly, because they aren't close enough to each other.

No im not after more weight! just more rubber on the road as Ill be towing 1000miles each way couple times a year and my train of thought was that a extra axle would make it more stable and tow straight and be less suspectible to snaking so to speak? its only few extra kilos, the van I will be using to tow will ideally be a 413cdi or 515cdi lwb sprinter camper van so i will be allowed 6-7 ton train weight, i cant remember exactly.

dirty, i did think so but I wanted a ifor ideally as a mate works for local ifor dealer so cheap parts and i use them all the time at work too :-)

With my twin axle (BJ) i regularly towed to German, Austria, France etc... All fully loaded. Tyres were never a problem. Going to tri axle was a good move though as it's a lot more stable I found at a cost of fuel economy. Then moving to a wider / bigger tow vehicle (pretty much the same width as trailer wheels) was another improvement for tram lines.

G

Yes thats my reason for going to tri-axle to be more stable towing at 60mph especially with the tramlining you find in the UK, and also for going along A roads with twists and camber, more rubber on the road the better?

not too concerned about the scrub of tyres when manoevering as it will only do 4-5k a year.

You could or can spec the ifor with livestock box axle config which on a tandem axle will move the axles further apart to try and distribute uneven loads better, however if I were you and maximum payload is not an issue (the extra axle adds 150kg IIRC) then I'd just buy a tri-axle from the outsett.

Will