300 tdi starting problem

BigP

Had a starting problem on and off for a while now, worse when it's cold. It's not the battery a it's new & higher output than required. If I leave it sitting for around a week it can be reluctant to start; jump leads & fires up 1st thing. If I keep using it every couple of days after this there's no problem, first turn & it's away.

Haven't been able to get out for a few weeks & now the jump leads wont get it going. It starts to turn over slowly but won't catch, eventually the lights on the dashboard start clicking like crazy. Could it be the alternator? I've got new glow plugs to fit but I've since read that this engine doesn't need them anyway.

Any ideas?

Edited by Happyoldgit
After signing up new members are on post approval for a while. This means your posts will probably not show immediately. So, if your post does not show there is no problem and no need to resubmit the same thing more than once :-)

If the engine is not starting well then it is either the battery or the cables from the battery. If you are 100% sure it isn't the battery then I would start looking at the earth straps or perhaps a loose connection to the starter motor.

I presume when you jump start it you are putting the jump leads onto the battery terminals (not that I can think of anywhere else you would put them)? If you have a dodgy earth you will have the same problems with the jump leads as you do with the battery alone.

put a jump lead from the bat neg to the engine, this should prove if its the earth. If it proves to be the problem, remove the battery, then you can get access to the bolt that secures the lead to the body and further down to the chassis, take the lead off, clean the ends and mounting points with emery paper and bolt back on with plenty of copper grease. If i'm doing this job i often make up a short lead with a ring on each end, attach one end to the same bolt as the main earth on the chassis and the other end to the closest timing chest bolt.

Just another thing, and this probably isn't anything to worry about but is the engine moving freely? Just make sure that there is nothing really wrong with the engine too by putting a socket and bar on the crank bolt and turn the engine over. If it is really really hard to rotate the crank then this would also be a bad (if not terminal) problem.

Bu that is just a worst case, it probably is a battery lead problem.

Stick the new glow plugs in as well.

I've read the 'you dont need glow plugs' stuff in the past but mine bloody well does, slightest hint of cold weather and it sulks - must have been on the for export line to Saudi and then had UK plates stuck on it

Problem solved. Tried starting again with the jump leads and same response, no starting. As soon as I earthed it on the block it went first time. The only thing I have to do now is repair it! Thanks for the input.

P

i had a glow plug earth out.i will try this i've put new glow plugs in replaced the power lead going to the relay and a new lead going to each glow plug.the disco 300tdi turn's over very good on start up but take some time to fire after the glow plug light gone out, again i thought it was the battery that was replaced

:blink: TWIZZLE :blink: