axle/diff/transfer box stuff!!!

ELVIS

K

Read loads about 10 v 24 spline all the time but does anyone know/can explain/post a link on how/when/where etc had what , what was first 10 or 24, whats strongest etc?

Ive got an H plate CWS Tdi and am thinking of getting a pair of Disco axles, completely refurbing them and sliding them in.

Have read bits about 'disco axles are not as strong' , appreciate might not be a salisbury rear axle but besides this, is this true? urban myth?

Are front and rear location/tie rods the same (want to blast, passivate and paint them)

Failing that , if i cant find 300tdi axles how about TD5? will they fit?

Whats the difference between 4 and 2 pin diffs-have read some stuff,. were all discos 2 pin?

Basically want to build up a complete set of running gear so it isnt out of action too long, just spend a weekend swapping my recon stuff onto my landy.

Going to order a recon lt77 from ashcroft in new year, is it worth ordering a new transfer box aswell? do they wear out and get noisy? wanting a 1.2 box.

Can ashcrofts rebuild disco diffs into defender spec ones if they are stronger?

erm, er, think thats all my questions used up for the day!

Anything else anyone wants to add that i havent asked?

10 was first, 24 is stronger, in short!

Only difference I'm aware of is discos are all rover axles with 2-pin diffs and 110's had salisbury 4-pin diffs until recently.

There are 2 different sizes of radius arms, be careful to get the right ones.

Whether you want a new t'box is up to you and your bank manager, they do wear out yes, but what are your plans for the truck. If extremly long term ownership then go for it, fit and forget. If not, depends whether you want to spend the money, or whether you want to be swapping it in years to come. They fail less often than main boxes.

cheers for the quick reply chap!

just wanting something good and reliable.. Want a couple of road trips next year - want to go back to croatia.bosnia again and also me/bro/eldest son are having a jolly boys to the arctic circle in the summer so going to be doing the miles. Me bro is building a house in Estonia with his Mrs (shes a jonny foreigner from that neck of the EU!) so no doubt get roped in for that.

Am thinking get all the running gear sorted/fettled then maybe sometime in next year rechassis it. Weighing up pros and cons i would rather have something i completely know the history of and know whats been done as a keeper! make sense?!

K

Read loads about 10 v 24 spline all the time but does anyone know/can explain/post a link on how/when/where etc had what , what was first 10 or 24, whats strongest etc?

Ive got an H plate CWS Tdi and am thinking of getting a pair of Disco axles, completely refurbing them and sliding them in.

Have read bits about 'disco axles are not as strong' , appreciate might not be a salisbury rear axle but besides this, is this true? urban myth?

Are front and rear location/tie rods the same (want to blast, passivate and paint them)

Failing that , if i cant find 300tdi axles how about TD5? will they fit?

Whats the difference between 4 and 2 pin diffs-have read some stuff,. were all discos 2 pin?

Basically want to build up a complete set of running gear so it isnt out of action too long, just spend a weekend swapping my recon stuff onto my landy.

Going to order a recon lt77 from ashcroft in new year, is it worth ordering a new transfer box aswell? do they wear out and get noisy? wanting a 1.2 box.

Can ashcrofts rebuild disco diffs into defender spec ones if they are stronger?

erm, er, think thats all my questions used up for the day!

Anything else anyone wants to add that i havent asked?

10 vs 24 spline. I wouldn't say that 24 are stronger, but there are more options for upgrading the 24 spline axles with uprated shafts and diff centres. (lockers/LSDs etc).

H Plate... same for all 110s, the rear disco axle is not rated for the weight of a 110. If its a 90 however, disco axles will fit straight under. But if they are 300tdi axles, get the radius arms with them as they changed at the axle end. Rears are the same for both.

Td5 defender axles will fit (if you use the defender radius arms). But td5 disco axles are very different and a whole lot more work to fit.

Difference between 2 and 4 pin diffs, 4 pin is stronger than the 2 pin. Disco axles aren't any stronger than defender axles.

I think he wants to refurb a set and then swap them over so the car isn't off the road for long.

Thats the one. Its in my fairly (sorry) lengthy original post. Also want disc rear brakes. Thought if i get a second set i can get diffs rebuilt, blast the cases and paint them at work and then rebuild them. Pop them on one weekend - sounds so easy :D