300tdi poor heater performance

piper109

Our present weather is around -10C with snow and freezing rain. My 300tdi is starting fine and driving fine. However the heater leaves a lot to be desired.

The temp gauge shows normal (just below mid point) and is constant, leading me to believe that the thermostat is working. Heater output, defroster etc is not warm at all. I cant keep the ice from forming on the windscreen.

I have felt the hoses. Top radiator hose is pretty warm. Bottom radiator hose is pretty cool . I use an electric fan with X-eng controller so it rarely runs. I ended up putting some cardboard between the radiator and the aircon condenser to block off the airflow over about 75% of the radiator area. This is what people used to do 50 years ago. Fortunately it still works. After a while at speed however, the car gets cooler and cooler.

I know the 300tdi is an engine that runs cool but I believe LR would have made the heater better. Any ideas? Whats going on? Thermostat opening too far perhaps?

Thanks

The heaters are pretty decent if set up properly - I would double check the thermostat, or just replace it as they don't cost many $$ anyway - plus I find the standard temp gauges read normal over a fairly wide range. In fact didn't LR fit a gadget to US spec cars to forcibly make the gauge read normal??

In really cold weather, presumably the top hose shouldn't be getting very hot as the thermostat shouldn't let hot water pass.

You also need to check the heater controls are working correctly. The temperature selection lever on the dash operates a valve on the heater by a moving cable. Move the lever to 'hot' then check the control arm on top of the heater box in the engine bay - are you able to rotyate the lever arm any more? If so, undo the small pinch bolt, and adjust the cable so it moves correctly to its end position. That normally does the trick.

Also check you have both fan speeds working correctly.

Doh! Sorry, didn't realise this was posted in Discovery forum, so ignore the bit about adjusting the heater cable.

Do check the thermostat though as the gauges aren't mega acurate - I recently took a Disco 300TDi engine out and fitted it to a Defender, using a digital temp gauge. When fitted in the Disco, the temp guage sat at normal - in the Defender my digital gauge showed it was running at 65-70 degrees.

But a new stat from a main dealer! Ones from motor factors have too much randomness in the opening temperature!

I had the same issue and tried to solve it in a somewhat more complicated way. Chris GBMud told me I was an idiot and to change the stat and I'm embarrassed to say he was right! I had just changed it - and the new one (from a motor factor) made no difference. Fit Genuine one - toasty!

Si