Defender wipers

The motor runs a rod like cable type thingmy that connects both wiper arms. The rod like cable type thingmy is behind the dash board. Either the teeth on the motor mechanism or the rod like cable type thingmy will be chewed. Not a nice job. Dashboard out if you are of a luckless disposition like me.

:wacko:

motor runs a drive cable not a rod, see page 729 in http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/8_body_electrics_p667-740.pdf

to access the motor, remove the grab handle & dash lower left corner [if a RHD vehicle]

to remove the motor & drive cable, do the above & remove the wiper blades & arms, otherwise you'll never get the motor/drive cable out of the vehicle

If one or other of the wheel boxes has jammed it'll be because the guide that is supposed to hold the rack (official name for the cable/rod thingy)against the wheel box gear has bent down or worn away. Either way you need to replace the wheel box and possibly the rack. You can replace the rack as described but if the wheel box guide is bent/worn it'll only be a temporary fix.

As it's such a PITA to change either of the wheel boxes, I'd suggest changing both of them out while you're there as you'll have to take most of the dashboard out to replace either of them, especially the driver's side one.

Dashboard (sorting the radio also) is already out.

Thought initially it would be the park switch but does as you're all saying the gears are only turning one way; there was for a while a clicking sound from the wheel box area, would this confirm replacement gears and rod?

P.s. while I'm at it, what is the cost in time and cash of putting a third wiper blade? Is it right that I have replace the motor?

Ta