Help with info on Superwinch removal..

Eightpot

I'm removing a mechanical PTO Superwinch from a 110 (not sure of winch type, fitted to an old ex utility truck), and trying to remove the transfer box as well.

I have all the winch bits and PTO unit removed, but can't get the transfer box off as there is a dog gear attached to the back of the input shaft, stopping the box sliding off.

It looks like it simply unscrews off the shaft - I've tried turning it with a set of stilsons up to force level 5, and nothing's budging - don't want to go to mental in case I break a tooth :unsure:

Can anyone shed any light on how this gear is attached??

They can be a bugger to seperate when the splines on the output shaft of the gearbox start to wear as it creates a lip that catches the transfer box input gear..... or maybe that's when refitting? Either way it's not fun to be juggling with a transfer box whilst laying under the car :)

They can be a bugger to seperate when the splines on the output shaft of the gearbox start to wear as it creates a lip that catches the transfer box input gear..... or maybe that's when refitting? Either way it's not fun to be juggling with a transfer box whilst laying under the car :)

Yep, I think that was the problem - a teeny bit of wear on the splines...

post-4919-0-38350500-1360005316_thumb.jpg