on board air - advice / opinions

If you got an ARB compressor then they have a small little tank. It'll be fine for diffs. If you wish to pump up tyres etc, then a tank might be useful.

Have a search on the forum, there's lots of info.

G

Tyre vs a tank, both large volumes, but as Luke points out it will take a long time to pump a large volume to high pressures, compared to a tyre at 30PSI.

IIRC ARBs need 90PSI to operate, but normally the pipes are all there is in the way of a reservoir - minimal volume.

Many of the small consumer grade electric tyre pumps are rated at quite high pressure, but it takes ages to fill a Landy tyre to 30PSI from flat. Most will have a warning not to run for more than say 15 minutes without allowing to cool.

I have an air con pump as my source of air, filling a reservoir from an air sprung Rangey. It switches off at 110 PSI and back on at around 80 - perfect for tyre pumping and air horns :)

I have no lockers at the moment.

I have an air con pump as my source of air, filling a reservoir from an air sprung Rangey. It switches off at 110 PSI and back on at around 80 - perfect for tyre pumping and air horns :)

I have no lockers at the moment.

This is the way to go :)

I run an aircon as my primary compressor. I do have a 12v tmax compressor fitted as well as a backup but have never had to use it.

G

From what I have seen the T Max twin cylinder compressors are surprisingly good :o

They are. The cylinder heads leak, but can be fixed with o rings. I also run check valves between the compressor(s) and tank.

Mine lasted a couple years, but freaked out on the scotia challenge. To be fair, when i stripped it down it was full of mud - so no fault of tmax !

I now have a single cylinder as it is only there as a backup. I do test it before every outing though as our day is as good as over if we don't have air.

G