Steering box

g90

My steering box is now excreting oil at a fair old rate and was wondering if anyone has had any joy changing the seals themselves.

I know the drop arm will be stubborn to say the least, so that will be removed by grinder and most probably replaced by a dicso one.

Im sure some people will say buy a recon box but ive heard a few tales of these lasting but a few weeks before making a mess of the drive, plus im on a bit of a budget

did my drop arm a week or three ago and went well. every day for a week first give area a squirt of penetrating oil. put on a cheap nasty two leg puller and wound it up some, give arm a couple taps with hammer, wind puller up a bit more (breaker bar and socket), tap arm couple of times, and so on for about half an hr and then its off!

for the love of god keep body parts out of way when doing this, my arm hit floor at a fantastic rate and made me jump!

each turn on breaker bar was a half turn and taps were with a club hammer, but taps not full on blows as didnt want to damage box.

again with health warning i truly did cack self with force arm hit floor so think carefully where you position body, consider how many turns on bar/pressure on puller is happening.

but it sure works well so all good.

If you'd like a box that won't leak I could get one of my spare RHD boxes rebuilt at Meridian and they replace the bushing with a needle bearing to eliminate the wear issues. A fair bit of shipping cost involved; but still not a bad option. If you knew someone going from the US to the UK I can have it shipped within the US at no cost though I still need to send the core from Canada to California.