Gasket thickness

Nigelw

What is the typical thickness of a stub axle gasket?

I ask as I was forced to buy two from the main dealers and when I got home and took them out of the nice shiny plastic packets they are both different thicknesses!!!

one being no thicker than 2 sheets of printer paper and the other is more like that of a cheap Christmas card!!! Yes both from main dealer and will be going back to speak about the issue but what would be the norm? I assume the thicker of the two?

Any ideas?

A thin paper gasket is normal, thickness wise I'd say around 0.15" - 0.25" . Normal practice would be to coat it with a thin smear of non-setting gasket cement before installing.

Super, thanks Boydie, but not sure why main dealer would supply two completely indifferent thicknesses, will find out in an hour when I get there.

A thin paper gasket is normal, thickness wise I'd say around 0.15" - 0.25" . Normal practice would be to coat it with a thin smear of non-setting gasket cement before installing.

Gaskests are made to be used WITHOUT sealant. Use grease.

You should only use a sealant on metal to metal joints.

Sealant can help where the mating surfaces are worn, pitted or grooved. But in theory yes one shouldn't need sealant on a gasket joint, though it can't hurt so long as you don't use too much. Can make it fun getting it off again - depending on which sealant you use.

The gaskets I've got from main dealers have all been nice thick ones, usually with the gasket maker's name in a pattern on the gasket material. Britpart ones and the like are usually paper-thin rubbish.

Now have two thick ones embossed with makers brand, in honesty I prefer not to use sealant for that reason but also possible contamination if it goes beyond the jointing surface!!

I welded on a new diff pan for a mate last weekend and I noted that there were no gaskets on the diff or the half shaft flanges just sealant!! I reassembled with gaskets as it should have been done,guessing someone else had been there first?

They were fitted with gaskets up to the 300Tdi era I believe. My 200Tdi 90 had them front/rear. As did my 110.

Rover diff: http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/2054/7316-DIFF-GASKET-ROVER-TYPE.html

Salisbury diff: http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/10460/RTC1139-SALISBURY-DIFF-COVER-GASKET.html

They were fitted with gaskets up to the 300Tdi era I believe. My 200Tdi 90 had them front/rear. As did my 110.

Rover diff: http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/2054/7316-DIFF-GASKET-ROVER-TYPE.html

Salisbury diff: http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/10460/RTC1139-SALISBURY-DIFF-COVER-GASKET.html

The Salisbury diff pan gaskets are cork. I have more then half a dozen hidden somewhere

The gasket sealant I use, Redring, has the consistancy of very thick grease and its non setting ! and a mere smear is all that is required, mainly to hold the gasket in position while you bring up the second face. My Disco from new had RTV used on the diff and the sump pan.