Need new tyres.......what should I get

DiscoHere

I have a Disco 2 with 255/55 R18 on it at present. I need to replace them as they are getting old and 2 of them have bad walls. I normally had BFG AT's on my Disco 1 but they do not appear to make them for this size wheel. I can get General Grabber AT's but don't know anything of them other then the thread looks shallow by comparison to the BFG thread.

I spend most of my time on road but will be off road as well. The type of off road driving will be Greenlane and forest tracks only. No real mud at all. Anyhow what I am looking for is a suggestion as to what tyres you gurus think I might go for.

Does anyone know the what size of the nearest BFG AT that would fit the rim?

Hugh

Had Grabbers on mine for the past year and no issues at all in the variety of weather we've had chucked at us.

Had loads of confidence in them in the snow and ice and being a biker for most the year means I pay attention to how the rubber sticks to the road.

How about Marix Panther, they do a 255/55/18 according to their web site. i use their Puma pattern on my Defender and been very happy with them, good balance, good grip. I'm going to fit either Marix Panther or Cruise to my Range Rover this year as it needs a new set.

http://www.newlifetyresonline.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=28

I would go to at least 255.60x18, this gives a little more sidewall, which can result in a smoother

ride. I found 255.55x18 to be pants and harsh, and tracked worse than a tram. I now have

265.65x18 but will also be fitting a small lift/ HD springs(winch +bumper on front). They do fit

without a lift but rub at full lock and when articulating.

I have 255/70R16 Grabber ATs on my Ranger and I like them, they replaced some AT2s I have used. I also have BFG ATs in the same size on the Discovery which I also like. In your position I'd dump the 18in rims and get some 16s, and then fit whichever you prefer. As mentioned above, the ride on 18s is awful by comparison and the steering tramlining is horrible. My D2 with the slightly oversize BFGs is the most comfortable of many D2s that I have driven over the years.