Testing a winch

disco_al

Right, i've got a Husky superwinch sat in my shed, and i need to test the motor, i do not have a remote for it though, or a solenoid.

How can i test the motor? There are 3 big black cables, two go to the gear end of the motor, and one to the rear, now i'm assuming that hooking these to a battery should cause a response from the motor.

I've checked the manual in the tech archive, but it doesn't really help me much

cheers all

motor body has a threaded hole on the bottom = earth connection

the 3 wires go to

F1 & F2 = motor direction -- winch in or winch out

A = common power feed

Husky winch owners info here http://www.expeditionexchange.com/superwinch/huskymanual.pdf

forget the tin pot soleniods & get a genuine albright unit, this is how to connect it http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=251

so to test battery negative to the motor earth point [you may need to screw in a bolt] to attach jump lead to.

battery positive to A & F1 or F2 to get the motor to run in each direction.

link to a copy of my hiusky winch manual 7 wiring info

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/western214h/library/husky%20winch%20info

thanks western. it's not going on my truck, selling it for a friend and just want to test it first. so essentially, just bung a bolt in the hole and attach a jump lead -ve to it then? 12v to the rear terminal, and one to either of the others to test direction? i take it the bolt only needs to go in enough for it to grab ie a few turns, and not all the way then?

To make it clear, the motor is series wound, so you need three cables, and to wire it correctly for it to run.

1) Ground

2) Supply to either F1 OR F2.

3) From the remaining Field winding (F2 OR F1, whichever isn't used above) to the Armature (A).

The motor is designed to have current flow in series through the Field and Armature windings. Both ends of the Field winding are available, to change the direction of the motor (F1 and F2), the other end of the Armature winding is earthed (motor earth).

You should end up with just one terminal/connection to F1, F2, A and ground. If you have more than one terminal on a post, or any posts empty, you're doing something wrong.

Luke

• Thanks 1

• 9 years later...
On 10/10/2022 at 6:34 PM, richp110 said:

It's amazing how often this forum has a clear well explained answer to conundrum! Thanks all

LR4x4 is made by its members knowledge. 

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Daan