Oakmaster

I'm going to feel a bit dim posting this, and I'm 95% certain my 1955 86” Series one is positive earth, but how can I check?

There is a ‘earth strap’ (somewhat flimsy) at the front / bonnet end of the battery tray which leads to a bracket on the engine, and the battery connect or seems to have ‘POSS’ cast onto it.

If buying a new battery for a 2L Series one does anyone have any recommendations / advice / words of caution?

– should I simply use the biggest I can fit?

Thanks

Series 1 should be positive earth. It'll probably run perfectly well if you put the battery in the wrong way as well but this shouldn't be done accidentally. (To change polarity you may need to remagnetise the dynamo (press cutout flap on regulator down and immediately pull it back) and the coil terminals should be reversed.)

Battery is an 069 or 072. Loads of Varta ones available on e-bay for about £60 or slightly less. Next day delivery meant just that when I bought one. The battery is the same size as discoveries, Range Rovers etc (certainly till recently) You should get this size - other similar ones may have terminals the other way round and be difficult to fit.

• 1 month later...

Returning to this topic - Does anybody have a specific recommendation for a series 1 1955, petrol, battery? Is there a danger of fitting one that is too powerful? and burning out the starter?

would anybody care to confirm that the maximum physical size that will fit in the battery box is 302mm (12") long, by 175mm (7") by 225mm (9") high

thanks

Regarding the battery a Series One only actually needs a low rated one, 55 AH comes to mind as standard fittment.

A modern " tiddler " will be just fine but it will look totally out of place in the battery tray so personally I'd have a battery that fully fits and fills the battery tray.

Have a black battery as they look more in keeping.

As said do ensure that the terminals are orientated correctly to suit the leads as otherwise you'll end up replacing these too.