Sankey trailers

landy andy.

Who knows what?

I'm looking for a trailer to use behind the Defender, so a Sankey is the obvious choice. I know I want a wide track, but don't know much more than that. The plan is to mount the roof tent on it, and use it to carry the camping gear, this should make weekend set offs quick, and also provides room for a new family member in the 90.

Any help appreciated.

Andy

Withams is a good place to find one, the latest ones have disc brakes.

You need a NATO hitch for it and you'll have to convert the electrics or fit a military socket to your landy.

And theres tons of people that have built what your after so I feel google will be your best friend here.

Thanks Si, but not got the new addition yet, I've only just agreed to it.

I've had a look a Withams but could not find any, not sure I was looking at the correct bit, will have another look.

Any thoughts on a "king trailer" looks like a Sankey type trailer

Andy

I've had a look a Withams but could not find any, not sure I was looking at the correct bit, will have another look.

You'll be lucky, they've sold all the good ones that have been released... Watch the price on ebay creep up.

I know a fair bit, King were a secondary model made for the RN they have different parts from the mark 3 disk braked version made by universal and alike.

When I have moment I will write down all I have learnt over the past few years, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Jason

Thanks for all your help.

The king trailer looks good, and very clean, but is it any good? What are the benefits compared to a Sankey.

How do I recognise a mark3 Sankey via pictures as that's all people appear to list?

There is a Sankey missile trailer on eBay that I'm watching, may drop him a line and find out some info, and had better start looking for a NATO hitch, any important info on these?

Andy

How do I recognise a mark3 Sankey via pictures as that's all people appear to list?

Here's a picture of my MK2

5568857863_72ddd5d28a.jpg

New Toy! by udderlyoffroad, on Flickr

Notice the way the NATO hitch is mounted on top of the chassis A-frame and connects via a cable mechanism to the brake drums, in the usual trailer stylee. A MK3’s hitch is in line with the chassis and connects to an hydraulic servo, like this:

1314277945sankey%20pic%204.jpeg.JPG.JPG

had better start looking for a NATO hitch, any important info on these?

Yep, if you’re going for a widetrack Sankey (and I would, as these have a drop down tailgate and the correct track to follow a Defender), you will need a rotating hitch. Don’t let someone try to sell you a combined NATO hitch with 50mm ball thing, or a fixed hitch. If I may, I will quote a post I made elsewhere:

You will need a proper swivelling Nato Hitch for it though (Ebay), and either reinforcement plates if you bolt it directly to the rear cross-member, or another slider should you wish to use it with a Dixon-Bate adjustable tow-hitch. There are some NATO hitches out there for Bedford Trucks…these will work, but only when bolted to a Dixon-Bate slider. They’re too big for a Landie Cross-member.

You can make reinforcement plates yourself, if you have access to some steel and a drill press or buy them (again Ebay)

Reinforcement plates for the cross-member:

Inner one 10mm thick, 13mm clearance holes on 45x86mm centre. LR p/n: 531448

Outer one: 6mm thick. 13mm clearance holes on 45x86mm centre. LR p/n: 523807

There is an outer plate with eyes for the breakaway cable too LR p/n KNK500030

Nato Stock Number: 2590 99 453 0975

Apropos breakaway cable, I don’t have a p/n for that, but you should fit one. It needs to be longer than a standard trailer one, maybe someone (Jason??) can help.

Unless you have an ex-MOD Land Rover you will need to change the electrical connector from a military one to a standard 7 pin (or 13 pin if you prefer) trailer connector. Do yourself a favour and change the bulbs too, as they may be 24v ones, but if even if not they’ll be old!

Google is your friend for the workshop manual and wiring schematic.

Thanks for all the info, helps massively, and explains the change process between the models.

Does a NATO hitch fit the holes on a tow bar mounting bracket? I have a two inch receiver, with drop plate, and would like to fit hitch to this, is that possible?

Andy

As long as the holes on the receiver hitch drop plate match the 45x86mm pitch then yes.

Perhaps this page on Retroanaconda's site makes it a little easier to picture what I mean re reinforcement plates.

Just had a look at the Extreme4x4 (Scrapiron??? Pre-dates my LR ownership) website, seems you need a special 2-inch receiver for a NATO hitch:

dqnatoreceiver.jpg

So holes on mounting plate need to be 86mm apart, and 45mm above/below each other. Ok will check. I have the same 2" receiver as the extreme 4x4 in the link but got mine direct from Safari engineering, so could always ask them if they do the NATO hitch 2" receiver. But like the idea of the adjustment of the drop plate, until I know how the trailer sits. I am put off by the Sankeys you see that don't sit level, and would like mine to be level.

Do all Sankey trailers have legs?

Have been offered a mark3 Sankey, in good condition, but it is a good distance away (5 hours each way), and is £500. What do you think, too expensive? Any good questions to ask seller, as I can't pop round and view?

Have spotted a NATO hitch on eBay, so will see how that goes!

Thanks for your input

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
Hammerite chips

I was on my mobile, this is a much better way of saying what I said.

Hammerite is also a pig to remove/sand/repaint etc etc.

Personally I would just get some proper car paint and roller it on, or buy a cheap paint sprayer and go nuts...!