Steering / alignment

Hello all ,

I am new to 4x4ing and just recently purchased a defender 110 1997 300tdi . I took it out 4x4 for the first time ( nothing extensive) and it will now only drive straight when the steering wheel is turned to the right 45-90 degrees . I also noticed the alignment is toed out. Before i look deep into the manual i figured i would see if anyone could give me a bit of direction. Drag link adjustment ? centralising steering box ?

Centralising the steering box is in the workshop manual, drag link nominal length is 924mm centre of track rod ball joint pin to centre of drop arm pin hole

track rod pin centre to centre is 1230mm, try those to get a decent set up then have the tracking adjusted by your local LR friendly garage.

you cannot take a defender out of 4x4, they are permanent 4 wheel drive at all times, however you can engage or disengage high or low range & centre difflock.

If that has happened after offroading, then you've bent something.

Given you say its now toed out as well as off centre, then your track rod (behind the axle) is presumably bent. The drag link (between axle and steering box) might also be bent.

Its not something you can or should be adjusting out, you should replace the bent component.

Hello there.

You could straighten it but it will have weakened, probably ok for road use to keep you motoring. If you intend off roading you can fit a new one, buy a heavy duty one, or brace up your old one when straight. If you use a standard type unbraced get a steering guard and front axle guard.

Do you have the same amount of steering lock right and left it may just be your steering wheel that needs moved on its splines. Wait to do this when you have sorted the steering bar

There's a topic on here on how to set the wheel alinement it worked well for me.

Good Luck