Time for a newtransfer box?

Hi,

last year the R380 in my 110 died, and was repaced with a Ashworth one. While I was 'in there' I fitted a 130 clutch and X-brake. Sadly I retained the Disco transfer box the 110 came with......

Lately the noise coming from under the floor has reached embarrasing levels! It comprises a metallic 'tinkle' rattle, 'rubbing' squeek and a 'rotary' sound as though something is rubbing on the prop shaft. I have gone through the gears with the T'box in neutral - nothing, and the noises only happens when the 110 is under power, quiet when coasting. I have checked underneath, nothing loose or rubbing, propshaft ujs greased and ok (slight play in one rear but nothing major) which does not explain the bad vibes at 35- 50mph. Although the transfer box only has a slight oil 'weep', old habbits have seen the fluids checked regularly - no major oil losses.

I have removed the centre seat and panel, and the noise is definitely from the gear/transfer box area. There is also a slight click/clunk from the T'box when the handbrake is released.

So I'm hoping it is the transfer, rather than the gear box (TBH towing and going uphill is very poor with the Disco ratios anyway) so 'does the panel think' its time to swap for a Defender transfer box,or should I be looking elsewhere???

Thanks in advance!

Richard

You said noises only happen under power, I'd remove one prop at a time and go for a drive (in diff lock obviously). If it's the transfer box you should get the noises regardless of which prop is removed. Otherwise it's something to do with the prop/axle that is currently driven if you see what I mean.

No, nothing rubbing on the [prop, but have changed the rear UJ, which has largely cured the problem! Can now hear the output bearing 'whooshing' and still have a 'tinkling' like a loose washer sound coming from the t'box.