BAMA offroad navigation event, Millbrook Proving Ground, 21 Apr 13

Hi all,

the next in the series of the so far very popular British Army Motorsport Assoc offroad events takes place on 21 April 2013 at Millbrook Proving and Testing Ground in Bedfordshire.

Set in over 100 acres of the famous Millbrook offroad testing facility (as used by the British Army, Top Gear and vehicle manufacturers the World over), the event will follow the tried and tested format of 7 seperate navigational phases, designed to test the navigator and driver's ability to work as a team.

A link to the event regulations and details on how to enter can be found at this https://www.dropbox.com/s/45m1ezpoxjrv7cu/20130218-MAGNUM_SPIRIT_13_SRV1.doc'>LINK.

You can find a selection of photos from the last event in February http://www.dhollandphotography.co.uk/section437868_552003.html'>HERE

And finally, the Millbrook website can be found http://www.millbrook.co.uk/Page/Off-Highway'>HERE

These really are cracking events and well worth getting a long too - designed to be non damaging yet still demanding, the terrain at this new venue (which is NOT normally open to the public) will cater for all levels of vehicle and the setup team will ensure that there's plenty to keep navigators busy!

Any questions, please let me know - hope to see some of you there!

Regards,

Ross

Hi,

This sounds fun and with only a couple of weeks away I think I can get the red one in a suitable state to compete. All I need now is a co driver and to brush up on my map reading skills.

Do you know if more of these events are going to be held throughout the year?

And just to be clear, there are no provisions to bring spectators.

I think I will try and enter this one as although I've been to Milbrook a couple of times now, it'll be great opportunity to go on the off road/military testing area.

Steve

From the regulations it looks to say no additional speed or distance measuring other that what factory fitted (speedo) and no satellite positioning devices.

So we better get the compass out.

But I'll let Ross answer!

Steve

Also, do you have to be member of the stated clubs or is there a special day membership fee?

Steve, Daan,

nice to hear from you both, its been a while!

Right, I'll try to answer all your points...

This is the 3rd BAMA offroad event this year, there's definitely 2 more to come, possibly 3 depending on entries/interest.

No provision for spectators i'm afraid.

No special navigation equipment needed or indeed allowed. As Steve says, its all down to factory fitted speedo, map and compass - back to basics, you'll love it Daan!

As far as invited clubs go, if you're not a member of any club on the list, let me know what club you are in and I'll get it added to the permit, easy!

Regards,

Ross

Hi Ross, Can the Shire landrover club become an invited club? I understand it is under MSA rules. Does this mean you need an MSA license? Also, 'very aggressive tyres are discouraged'. Are Simex tyres classed as very aggressive? Or is it dumper tyres that are refered to?

Cheers,

Daan

Hi Daan,

Yes Shire will be on the permit, looks like the website just hasnt been updated...

No MSA licence required, provided you're a member of a Club on the permit then that's sufficient.

Aggressive tyres are discouraged because they're not really needed and they do have the potential to cause more damage to the ground. However, the wording is deliberately 'discouraged' rather than 'banned', we've had boggers on entrants before and I'll be running Simex on the recovery car!

Regards,

Ross