dash lights

gavfurn

On my 95 disco xs 300 tdi, since I got it (about 2 week) the abs light is on continues (is this normal) and the battery/alternator light, I've fully charged the battery and tried new battery put ons new alternator but the lights still on (will it need plugging in and turning off or should it go off automatically) any suggestions fellas doing my nut in

Both lights should normally (driving) be out!

Battery light will go out once the alternator is cahrging - typically anything above 13.5v up to maybe 14.5v.

The ABS one should go out if not a few seconds after starting the engine after the self test mode has finished, or once you drive above 5mph / kph afaik. If there's a fault stored it 'may' need reset. There's the diy blink test, to find out what the fault is. You need to search the interweb for the instructions and possibly the wabco manual for the list of fault codes.

Steve

As stated ABS should go out check and clean the sensors on the brakes and check the bearings while your at it.

My ABS always comes on when they're on the way out (guess who had all Britpart to save money.....for at least 6 months) but then it also comes on whenever other totally unrelated things are about to break, no idea why this is other than some weird psychic link it has to the other bits of the car

I removed my ABS totally, you may not be able to do this in the UK though, even here in Oz it involved a total registration re-approval fortunatly as ABS was a add-on and Discos were sold without it it wasnt too much of a hassle but seriously ABS on a fast gravel road is as much use as a box of tissues in a dysentry ward, along comes a "roo, you hit the brakes, they lock up, release automatically and bang, one roo dead and front end damage.

Non ABS under such circumstances is far betteras its controllable by the driver, hit the brake, and then ease off before the wheels lock up.