Salisbury vs Dana60

o_teunico

How similar are the Salisbury diff used by Land Rover and the american Dana60?

Will lockers and r&p from a Dana fit to a Salisbury casing?

Parts for Sals are becoming more and more difficult to obtain, but the Dana seems to be extreamly popular in the rock crawling scene in America, with plenty of parts available.

This subject has probably been covered several times on these forums, but in a nutshell. the Salisbury 8HA as fitted to Landrovers is in essence a Dana 60 that is built in the UK to Rover specs with regard to having a stronger 4 pinion carrier vs the more common 2 pinion open carrier on many D60's The 4.7 diff ratios and halfshaft 24 spline pattern are also specific to LandRovers,and the external ribbing on the cast centre is generally more substantial than the average D60, but generally, Dana CWP's can be fitted to Salisbury housings and carriers once the crownwheel bolt holes have been drilled out and providing you have the carrier with the correct offset on the crownwheel mounting flange to suit the particular D60 CWP ratio. The pinion spline configuration varies on some Dana's, so the flange may have to be removed on the propshaft and the Dana style universal joint U bolts used instead. From memory, the outer pinion bearings are different, but there are bearing cups and cones that can be mix and matched to suit.

I don't know if ARB have changed their thinking, but their early airlockers used smaller gears in their Salisbury locker than for their Dana 60 version.

Thanks Bill!

I have found some info at aussie forums, and it looks that there is (or was) a kit for adapting 1.5" 35 spline halfshafts to Salisbury housing.

Taken from AULRO.com

Rover 10 spline, Rover 24 spline and 35 spline comparisson.

IMG_2305.jpg

As you said, Salisbury´s ARB is not as beef as Dana´s

d60vsals2.jpg

More at http://www.aulro.com/afvb/xtreme-zone/126697-35-spline-dana-60-conversion.html

The main advantage of Dana, strength appart, is how cheap the parts are if imported from the states and compared to UK Salisbury ones.

• 9 years later...

Hello,  I have a 1981 Volvo C202 Laplander, with Salisbury axles. It has 6.17 gears. I would like to get more speed out of the vehicle, but want to install Dana gears. I was told that the Dana 60 gears fit directly into the Salisbury pumpkins. Could someone tell me if this is true, and if so where could I purchase the Dana 60 gears. Any help would be greatly appreciated.    Thanks Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Salisbury, like Dana, made different sized diffs.  They were used on a lot of road cars like the Jaguar XJS and Rover SD1, but were a lot smaller than the Land Rover type, probably equivalent to the Dana44.  I know nothing about the Volvo axles, so can’t suggest a great deal other than that you try to ascertain if it is the same type of Salisbury as used on LRs rather than something bigger.

101 Forward Controls used Salisbury diffs front and rear with lower ratios than the 109 and much lower than the 110.  They may have a ratio that suits you.  I don’t know what it’d be like trying to find two ring and pinions for those, but they should be out there, somewhere.