Cleaning Sump

It's service time again and I've noticed a few drops of oil on the sump bolts so thought it might be worth removing the sump, giving it a clean and resealing it while I'm under there.

Has anyone got any pointers on this, what would you recomend using to clean the sump out, brake cleaner, degreaser or just wiping it out and not using any solvents?

Is there anything else that I should do while I have the sump off, maybe clean the oil strainer and change the O ring on the oil pickup, is that worth doing?

Also, is there enough room to get the sump out on a standrd height 90 or will I need to jack the chassis up to give enough clearance.

Thanks

Dave

Hi,

I think sump removal without the need for jacking the vehicle should be ok, although being a 300TDi, the sump is further over the front axle so maybe the removal of the front prop may help.

As for cleaning it, a load of rag/kitchen roll to removel the oil and then some sort of solvent to clean it as well as cleaning the gasket surface.

As for the oil strainer I'll let someone answer that one!

Steve