awfull noise and lack of power today!

hi all serviced my retro fitted 200 tdi 90 on saturday , took it out for a drive today ,got on the motorway got up to 50 heard a noise similar to a belt snapping - terrible noise and loss of power . pulled over callled rac, waited thought i might have done some serious damage but turned out to be the air hose to the air filter had detached , once refiited seemed to cure it does that sound about right?

i suppose i didnt really loose power , just felt like if i revved the engine it was causing more noise and possibly more damage/ it was the pipe from the tubo to the air filter that had become detached, did notice it had a good coating of oil insde it

The oil is not uncommon, there is normally an engine breather tee'd in somewhere which will have a tendency to blow oil in to that pipe. Also the noise would certainly change when you have no air breather connected. Especially as the revs increase.

thats what must have happened when i changed the air filter, the pipe was dislodged, and then came apart on the motorway ,the noise was so loud it sounded like something in the thengine had blown !

came back today with avengence as you probably guess by my other posting , i think it must be the turbo , soon as we head off it whines like a police car in the distance until it becomes unbearable and there is lack of power / going to take it to a garage saturday to see what they say does anyone know if ita a expensive fix?

Take the air hose off that goes from the air filter to the turbo, stick your two fingers in the turbo (I hasten to add that you should be doing this with the engine off and COLD). See if the compressor wheel will move up and down much (it will probably move in and out), up and down movement is bad and indicates wear in the turbo bearings and in extreme cases leads to the fan blades hitting the cases.

Check all the air hoses for an holes or leaks and ensure the hose clips are done up tight and try again to see if the noise is still there.

If your turbo is knackered then you can normally get them reconditiond for a few hundred pounds.

Take the air hose off that goes from the air filter to the turbo, stick your two fingers in the turbo (I hasten to add that you should be doing this with the engine off and COLD). See if the compressor wheel will move up and down much (it will probably move in and out), up and down movement is bad and indicates wear in the turbo bearings and in extreme cases leads to the fan blades hitting the cases.

You've got that backwards.

All journal bearing turbos will have some side-to-side play in the shaft, as this is taken up once the turbo bearing is supplied with pressurised oil. The play is typically small, but it will be present on even a brand new unit. Excessive play will allow the compressor wheel to touch the housing like you say, which usually results in a "dentist drill" type noise.

In-and-out play however is a symptom of a worn thrust bearing, and indicates the turbos on its way out. A healthy turbo should have no detectable in-and-out play.

• 2 weeks later...
You are lucky, if it was the metal washer then it would have mauled the impeller and semi destroyed the engine!

G

Well the bits of washer and turbo would have had to get through the intercooler first so engine may have been safe