24 spline front axle upgrade options

muddy

I'm thinking of upgrading my front axle and wondering what's best, prospective use is trialing with tops 33" tyres.

Is a landrover 4 pin diff as strong as an unlocked ashlocker, the same or stronger?

What's kam like nowerdays? How did/does kam stuff compare to ashcroft stuff? I can probably get kam through work and I see they offer a 4 pin diff option how does this compare to the lr 4 pin?

Have I missed anyone? at the moment this is a daily driver so not too interested in axle swaps otherwise is be looking at portals etc and that's a whole new vapour build :)

To summarise 24 spline axle case withh minimal mods, open diff, reliable, cost not totally daft.

Will.

Yes, a 4 pin of either, and I would fit old spec hubs with the old CV and 24/23 spline ashcroft shafts. I have never broken a CV (using genuine landrover 2522). If you dont run a locker, they should easily cope with 33's

Daan

Yes I am doing 4 Pins : http://www.megasquirt-v8.co.uk/4_pin_diffs.php sold loads mainly to racers and NOT ONE Failure (although some pegged on top)

OK

In answer to your question a Ashlocker, KAM or ARB McNamara are ALL "4 pin" diffs, the difference is that they are ALL

lockers and the units we do is a 4 PIN but NOT a locker

ANY of the lockers are superior to the unlocked 4 pin in terms of extra progress (before getting stuck worse :lol:) many will argue about

which of the lockers above are best, if we forget mcnamaras as they are rare then the ashlocker beats anything else in my humble hands down.

Any locker bought is serious money, and will then need to be fully built up with new bearings etc etc, the units we do are ready to drop in and frankly

cheap in terms of what they offer and what they are _ BUT THEY ARE NOT a locker ! .....

If you wnat a LOCKER then what I do is no good, if you want a hugely stronger unit than a std 2 pin diff, and not a locker and not spend a fortune then the 4

pin we do is spot on.

All of the above new + ours are all 24 spiine, not 10. looks here

:

for your educumification Mr :D

When you fit ANY of the above you will put more starin on the halfshafts, esp with lockers, with our 4 pin you will have moved the week point from the

Centre of the old 2 pin diff, to the halfshafts, if you buy a locker you DEFO wnat upgraded KAM or Ashcroft maxidrive Rakeway etc shafts, with the 4 pin,

its a "Nice to have" and depends more on how you drive tyre sizes wheel spinning etc, but IMHO you'll blow halfshafts before the 4 pin centre

Unless your racing / competiting HARD - you don't need it pegging put the saving towards half shafts !

Hope the above adds some help

Nige

Cheers nige, you have answered some qs now a few more if poss, I am familer with diffs broken plenty and swapped more than I care to remember.

My questions about lockers vs 4 pin is obvioisly a locked diff is stronger than a 4 pin however what about when its unlocked? I would like to spend once and spend right. I do not need a locker but if its just as strong and only abit more expensive then why not fit one, air ext is no probs.

So are kam shafts and cvs as good as ashcroft?

Will, apologies for spelling and grammar typing on notsosmart phone after replacing hockey stick bushes that didn't want to come out.

Er "Non"

A "Locked" Locker 4 pin is no weaker or stronger than being unlocked or a unlocked 4 pin non locker (Christ does that make sense :lol: ??)

But

A Locked Locker puts FAR more strain on the halfshafts than an Unlocked Locker or Std 4 pin. This is becuase the locker will still be dragging you deeper in the mire and working harder

where unlocked or std 4 pin you will have stopped.

Its not really fair to compare a Locker to an Open 4 pin.

A locker IS a 4 pin, BUT gives you more traction when locked over an open diff, be it a 2 or 4 pin.

A 4 pin gives you far more strngth than a 2 pin

ALL lockers are 4 pin

KAM Aerospace shafts are very good, aviod the KAM HD.

Ashcrofts shafts are also very good, as to which is best on the half shafts side there is little to choose

BUT

ON the CV side as Dann said 60662 or 2522s + HD Half shafts etc is a good combo

ashcroft or Kam HD CV's is a whole new argument :lol: and do a search as I shoved a vast amount of what I hpope was inpedendant personal views of both

But

1st you have to decide if you want a locker or a 4 pin

If you want to buy a locker then its ashcroft ashlocker hands down no arguments period :)

If you DON'T want a locker and want stronger diff then a 4 pin iz yer babby :D

IF you go the locker route and have just one then it really needs to be in the back axle not the front IMHO

Hope this helps, if you still need more ask !

Nige

Perfect sense, locker not needed just looked at prices think ill go 4 pin, I've got the back sorted there's a disc sailsbury sat in the yard ( did I just hear you shudder :D )

Will. Tottling off to look at cvs....